Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

That bass that is probably so hard to find... (?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayAmel, Jul 19, 2005.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi folks,

As some people here may know, I currently play in a cover band. Our track list goes from Glenn Miller to The Blues Brothers to Gloria Gaynor to Bon Jovi to Shakira, and almost anything in between.

The drummer (director of the band, too) and I had a long conversation and decided we would improve the dynamics of the band, especially in the rhythm section. For what is my part, playing harder on the bass and using some percussive techniques sometimes (such as typewriter technique) are ways we are going to explore now.

To achieve this, I am looking for a bass that would hold all these specifications :
    - 5-string with a very strong low B,
    - thick tone, with a solid growl in the low/low-mid frequencies,
    - ability to easily attenuate the high frequencies,
    - not-so-heavy weight (9 lbs maximum),
    - perfect balance.

Budget will not be an issue (at least up to $ 5,000).

Which basses would you suggest ?
    My future rig will probably be an Aguilar DB750 + GS412 cab.

Many thanks,
    Jay

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Well, if budget isn't an issue, many folks here will come up with really high-end basses like Alembics or stuff like that, but haven't you considered a EBMM Bongo with double humbuckers and piezo bridge? I see in your profile that you play MM, so you know the quality of these instruments. The Bongo is an EXTREMELY versatile and powerful bass. Or maybe you'd like to try the new StingRays or Sterlings with double humbucker configuration, but the Bongo is an awesome bass. Hopefully its looks isn't a problem for you (I love it!).

3. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks Alvaro,

Well, yes I know the MM quality (though a bit disappointing on SUB models, IMO).

Though, the SR5 is a bit too heavy (approx. 10 lbs), and my gigs generally last 4 to 5 hours.

The low B on the SR5 is more than decent, and probably one of the best in this price range. But I'm after an even tighter low B, with a "darker" and more "cavernous" sound...

In addition to my first post, the kind of tone I'm after would be in the area of "Lady Marmalade" (Moulin Rouge soundtrack version) or "Ojos asy" (Shakira).

Thanks again,
    Jay

4. I'd have to say Dingwall. My Afterburner has an excellent B string, nice growl, it's light and well balanced. The Afterburner is the least expensive model. $5000 will probably get you a Prima, which is simply awesome.

You chances of finding one in France are slim but you can order them from Bass Central (where I got mine). Heck, I live in Canada where they're made and I've never seen one.

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I've heard that nothing beats the B string of the Dingwalls. Don't know if it's true, but may be an option. Also heard that isn't difficult to get used to the fanned fret system.

BTW, the correct spelling is "Ojos Así" :) .

6. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I stand corrected ;)

Yep, I must acknowledge I have put my eyes on Dingwall basses (but not my hands -- yes they are quite impossible to find here). Any soundclips somewhere ?

Thanks again
    Jay

7. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Oops, thanks Bass Viking !

8. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Just listened to a few Dingwall soundclips (not all).

First impression is on the low B : WOW !

And yes, tonewise, this is pretty close to what I'm looking for...

Any other suggestions, anyone ?

Many thanks again
    Jay

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I was going to say Warwick Streamer... seriously... until I saw the weight requirement.

So, I'll suggest MTD 535. The tulipwood/wenge combo is very light and very growly.

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    A Roscoe or Elrick should meet your requirements for relatively light weight and a strong B.

11. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    What about a Zon Sonus 5 or a Warwick Streamer Stage II.

12. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Fuzzbass :
    Yep, of course I had initially thought of a Warwick (Stuart Zender also has a tone that is close to what I'm looking for, and as far as I know Shakira's bass player is or was a Warwick player -- please correct me if I'm wrong). But yes, they are very heavy.

Christopher :
    Going to check them, thanks

Farley :
    Warwick SSII weighs 11.44 lbs : way too much !

Thanks to all, any other suggestion welcome !
    Jay

13. Try a Modulus Quantum or Flea Bass. Whafrodamus can vouch for me :p

14. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    ^ Yes. Your flea was awesome.

15. Too bad I can't play it, har harhaarharahhra!

:crying:

:D

16. I am quite happy with my Sadowsky.....Definitely under the 9 lb threshold for a NYC and mine can growl with the best of them....I have played a few of his 5's and Roger has one of the best B's I have ever played and the fit and finish are second to none....you may want to look into a P/J model if you need a lot of flexibility and the Vintage Tone Control (Standard on the NYC) will give you your treble rolloff in spades....I also would agree that the Streamer Stage II would probably fit the bill EXCEPT for the weight...you will NEVER find a Warwick that is suitable under 9 lbs!!!! The Dingwall and the Roscoe are also a good possibility but I would prefer the Roscoe if it came down to the 2 of them.....Good Luck in your search.....

Peace,

T

17. I would suggest you contact Pete Skjold. He would be happy to build you a very lightweight bass with your choice of wood combinations, or, with he can guide you in the right wood combo to achieve the tones you are after. His new electronics make his basses probably the most versatile I've ever had a chance to play or even hear. Also, his basses are very light, and they balance superbly.

his website is not up to date with current information, but if you will do a search for Skjold here, you will see many that will attest to Pete's craftsmanship, and the playability, and tone of his basses.

18. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    You might want to have a talk with one of your fellow countrymen........talkbass member too....

JP Basses

JP Basses Website

where's a drooling smiley when you need one?

This'll do...... :eek:
    [​IMG]

19. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Lakland USA?