Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

That Bloody Left Hand

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by furtim, Dec 9, 2000.

1. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    After about a year of playing, I've FINALLY decided to break my bad habit of playing in three-finger double bass style. I think it's more than time I started doing finger-per-fret. Other than the obvious exercise of practicing chromatic lines, are there any other exercises I can do to stretch out my middle and ring fingers. That's my problem, really. My middle finger always wants to slip down to my ring finger when I place my ring finger independent of my pinky. Anyone have advice on making this particular transition?

2. just keep doing what your doing, that ring finger is the hardest to control, i had the same problem except my pinky would always come in to help the ring, it may seem like the middle finger is the problem but if you test it out its probally the rind asking for it
    keep doing the cromatics and do them real slow so you can build up the strength for each finger

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I wouldn't call it a bad habit. It's the way Jack Bruce plays.

4. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Well, I think it's a bad habit because of all the extraneous shifting I have to do. Even playing Dorian scales, I still gotta shift to hit the three, then shift again to hit the four. I'd be much happier if I could do that, at least, without a shift.

I just think I'll be happier with that extra finger to help things out a bit.

5. http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Articles/Hanging_Ten/

It's meant for right hand fingering technique, but the first part applies very well to spreading your left hand out.. it worked for me. :) (I only got to 3 fingers on my right hand though.. plucking with my pinky just sounds like crap.. there's too much nail there and not enough meat to get a good sound)

6. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Thanks, everyone. I actually decided to go with the Bass Player exercise in Davy0's thread on the same subject. Hoo boy, is that a workout. =) Combined with the standard chromatic exercises and attempting to re-learn songs with finger-per-fret, I should be "there" in no time. =)