Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

that british sense of humour...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brad Barker, May 25, 2005.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
  2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Reading that made me laugh.

I cant comment, my parents are weirdest funniest people, and my friends are hilarious too.

Adults?

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I think that most of the time when we're taking the p*** you guys don't get it - with a few notable exceptions.

4. I've found myself helpless with laughter much less frequently since around 1997 for some obscure reason. :meh: :meh:

5. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    I dont like mornings, but I wouldnt say I 'wallowed in gloom' - I just log on to TB! :)

I wouldnt say I was laughing less. Theres plenty of funny things in the world....

and why was this data collected for a cruise company??

6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I can just imagine the questions they asked.

Next thing you know, they'll be suggesting that ship-board holidays make you happy. :meh:

7. While we all assume that yanks have a lesser sense of humour, I note that the majority of our sitcoms are shockingly unfunny and charmless, and US sitcoms are vastly superior. Might be indicative of the increasing intellectual paucity of our country.

I love drizzle, me, so it can't be the weather.

8. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Us brits? Bad TV? what, you dont watch Celebrity Love Island?? :D

(joke, joke, I havent lost all my self respect just yet..)

(ok derail over!)

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No - that's just money!!

So - every US comedy show has vast amounts of money thrown at it and they have teams of writers in big factories of 50 or more, honing jokes, trying them out on focus groups and only passing a small fraction of the stuff they write - until it's polished to within an inch of its life and doesn't offend anybody!! :meh:

Whereas British TV comedy is invariably written on the back of a cigarette packet(if at all), by one or two performers, on their own, who are "eccentric", creative geniuses - but most of their output is misunderstood by the vast majority - especially Americans who usually just find it offensive!! ;)

See : "Little Britain", "Mighty Boosh","Fast Show" etc. etc.

10. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    +1

Exactly what I was thinking, and worded a lot better than I could! :)

I think we have made a few decent comedy shows, and I think our US friends would agree....?

11. + another 1. ;)

I often wonder what our transatlantic cousins must have thought of "League of Gentlemen". :D :D :D :D

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Haha, just look at the fantastic comdey coming out of BBC3 at the moment. And then compare is to Friends and Will and Grace, whose whole focus seems to be around how many gay men they can get into bed with each other.

13. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    British culture still baffles me.

Telly? Bobby? Lift?! :confused:

:D

14. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Who on Friend's was gay?

I would quote my favorite daily show quote here, but I'd be best not to, to avoid any misunderstanding.

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    That's right, take the minutae in favour of the whole argument. You 'sitcoms' suck. Face it.

[​IMG]

16. I had planned on defending my nation's sense of humour, but Toasted gave me a black eye before I could even swing. Invoking 'Friends' was, in my opinion, hitting below the belt.

Mike

17. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    You're not going to get any arguement over "your sitcoms suck." Its the truth. In fact I'd reccomend everyone kill their TV. Thats why I'm glad we have Comedy Central. Thats all the TV I need.

18. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Monty Python's Flying Circus was the last British TV show that I enjoyed and thought was funny.

As far as comdeians, Eddie Izzard was pretty funny on a stand-up special I saw.

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Oh yes, you are if Bruce has anything to say (and I sure he does) about the matter. :D

Blah blah blah anti-American, self aggrandizing, nationalist crap, blah blah...

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Look - it wasn't me who started this!! :meh:

And what about that survey - they talked to 1,000 people and it was about how many times you laugh!! :rollno:

So - if some daft interviewer comes up to you on a cold rainy day and says : "How many times a day do you laugh?"

What do you think the answer is likely to be....? ;)