1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

That Damned Economy!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Swakey, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Swakey

Swakey

Nov 26, 2012
    So i live in Cypurs where the economic crisis is just getting worse by the hour. Banks have been closed since Monday and they won't open till Tuesday. The bank i have an account with may or may not close by Monday. That being the case i may loose my money. ATMs are dry, you can't take more than 260 euros out a day...

Any way enough rant. Its not like i have a lot of money in the bank. I was saving up for an Aguilar TH 500 but guess what i'm 25 euros short!! AAAAAA!!! :mad: I obviously can't buy that now but i can't touch my money either (without spending it) Really sucks big time but i have to spend it by Sunday. My options within my price range for an amp are

1 GK MB800 (i was sort of leaning away from GK because i'm not too keen on their tone)

2 Warwick WA 600 (never heard anything about this one)

3 Markbass LMIII

4 Used Tc RH450

5 Ampeg PF 800

6 Aguilar TH350 (I would like something bigger though)

7/8 Peavey tour 700/500

Which would you go for had you also been planning on getting the th 500?

2. #5 then #3. But personally I would go for the MB800 as a first choice. :)

3. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    You'd think that during an economic crisis people would be selling used gear dirt cheap. How are the used gear websites over there? Maybe check out musical instrument dealers. So, I'd look for any of the above (or something a little better) used.

4. soitainly

soitainly

Aug 21, 2012
    Like mrjim123 said, now would be the time to make an offer on the piece you really want. If your only 25 short, since the crisis would be affecting everyone, it seems any reasonable offer would be an easy deal.

But, economic crisis' can have different effects though, sometimes they cause such rapid inflation that cash is worth nothing. Other times it makes sense to hold on to your savings, it may be more important to eat next week than to buy a bass amp.

I still wouldn't just go spend the money on a piece of gear that wasn't at the top of your list, just for the sake of spending, regardless of economics.

5. Swakey

Swakey

Nov 26, 2012
    We don't have a market for bass equipment here. I went to a music store once and asked for flatwounds. They had no idea what flatwounds were! No shop here has a variety of bass gear. No store sells a fretless for instance. NOT ONE!

6. Swakey

Swakey

Nov 26, 2012
    Oh yeah i forgot to mention that the prices are not from local store but from online stores

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Prices shown online can often be negotiated if you call.
    Or they may have a floor model at a lower price. Same warranty.

8. VSR

VSR

Mar 22, 2009
    Don't spend your money yet just for the shake of it. Cyprus is an European country and the government is trying hard to find a solution.You are not going to lose any money.

9. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Very scary situation, yes, but didn't your parliament reject the tax on bank accounts?

Why not save another 25 euro for the amp you really want? Why must you spend your money by Sunday?

10. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Try calling said online store, and see if they can give you a deal over the phone. A lot of big North American companies do that on this side of the pond.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Perhaps the Tone Hammer pedal + power amp? Power amps are very versatile and if you need to sell it there are many more potential buyers than just bass players.

This way you get the TH tone with lots of power and the ability to sell quicker. You could also just run the TH pedal thru the power section of your current amp.

12. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Moneys gonna be useless there any second.

13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    If the economy there is that bad I would spend the money on canned food and dried food.

You cannot eat an amp. :cool:

14. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    ::::BASSIST:::: definitely has a point about a separate TH pedal and power amp.

15. makohund

makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    You know, in that case I think I'm gonna vote "carrots".

Seriously. Got a good root cellar?

16. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I've been following the story about the parliament bill to "tax" people's bank account. Figure I've got some sense of the situation.

I wouldn't expect the Euro's value to crash over this, whatever way the Cypriot government resolves it. But you might want to get your money out of the bank, if you can. That creates a risk of theft from your house, yeah--but I'd agree that you might consider waiting to purchase, and getting the amp you want. I don't know of any other amp quite like the TH500, if that's the one you prefer.

(Edit: well, yeah, the TH350. But the wattage and features aren't the same as the TH500.)

17. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    You can eat US stocks though ;)

18. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Um, right. We're from the government, and we're here to help...

:bag:

19. Ragoo

Ragoo

Oct 14, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    I'd save the money for something slightly more important than an amp...

Just me though.

20. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Never ask the second prettiest girl to dance until you've asked and been turned down by the first at least a dozen times.

Or put another way, try for what you really want until you get it or have established that it just is not possible.