that delicious wal sound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    I am a huge fan of Wal Basses and their sound. I am not a huge fan of their prices. So I figure that I can't afford a Wal for a pretty long time...but I would really love to have something close to that sound when I go to record soon. I know Wal doesn't just sell pickups, so I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea on what type of pickup would sound closest to them.

and.. How would you compare it to a MM?

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well. I doubt there is any pickup that can magicly make your bass sound like a wal, but there might be something close.

As far as comparing it to a stingray/sterling...

The Wal has tons more midrange, and better on board EQ.

I've heard some people say a Bongo sounds like a Wal! I have not heard the Bongo yet, but I sure would like to.
  3. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i heard those bongos sound pretty sweet, i just cant get past the looks of them.

since i have 2 stingrays i wanted to experiment pickup wise with one of them, thats why i asked about the MM comparison. any particular brands i should focusing on? im thinking about throwing my lane poor pickup in there with an aguilar obp-3...although i am not sure if that will get me closer to the wal sound.
  4. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Lane Poors are great for getting that wal sound. Ken Smith soapbars are even better in some ways. I've even found that Seymour Duncan Ceramic MM pickups aren't bad if you wire them in series.

Also, try getting your hands on a used MM Sabre. They go for about half the price of a Ken Smith Bolt-on or a used Wal.