1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

That dirty word flat again.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lowdownstu, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Maybe JimmyM or someone else could pipe in here. Does anyone know the flattest settings for the bass driver deluxe. I'm guessing it's not 12 o'clock.

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The Bass Driver has an inherent mid scoop and does not have a mids knob to make up for it.

You can dial back both the bass and treble and get a rough approximation but unlike the VT Bass you can't get all that close to "flat" on the Bass Driver.

3. What Jared said.

I emailed Tech 21 a few months ago asking about the primary differences between then VT and the BDDI.

From the product manager himself: "The Bass Drivers always have a built-in mid-scoop, and no midrange control, while the VT starts out completely flat (so there's already more midrange content to begin with)."

4. Cheers! I been battling with this black box for nearly two years now. I do like it but I've got bugger all idea of where to start from.

5. j_nition

j_nition

Jul 28, 2009
    My soloution:
    pull down treb, bass, and pres to the point when I can cycle the blend knob from 0 to 100% without a noticeable difference in EQ, that's flat.

6. James Simonson

James Simonson

Feb 2, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist : Ernie Ball and Ampeg
    Flat would be BLEND all the way down with treble and bass at 12 o'clock. These effect the dry and blend signal. The presence is boost only and I think it only works with the blended signal. So presence would be off. I think the people that don't dig the sansamp probably use too much blend. It gets scooped and clicky pretty quick so you can roll the bass and treble back to counter act that if you need to. It's nice to find your favorite settings with a good set of reference monitors if you can. That's what the sound man gets if he's taking the send from there. The drive can get buzzy if it's set for a non tweeter amp. When in doubt, it's a really great passive d.i.. Without all that extra e.q. it makes a great d.i. without turning it on.

So I guess, flat would be off... (trying not to be a smart ass)

7. Thanks guys. The driver is definately not an intuitive piece of kit. I still dig it though. Maybe time to retire it and get a VT Deluxe? BTW the effects thread is sending me broke!!!

8. Maybe that's my problem. I can't help but have the blend full on. Let me tweak a little.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is why I prefer the ParaDriver.