Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

That durty bass sound!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gkirkin, Jun 18, 2005.

1. gkirkin

gkirkin

May 23, 2005
    London
    Hi,

My dad is currently building me an amp, due to expense we are using an old solid state HH power amp. For the front end we have been experimenting with a Bassman 135 circuit. After a lot of fiddling around we have built a working bassman channel, thats sounds quite nice, but very clean, we can get nothing more than a little bit of grit. Is this because of the lack of output valves??

We tried building a distortion circuit onto the back of the bassman, unfortunately this only produces quite a harsh, fx pedal, type distortion, not the warm gravely tone i would like.
    Ideally i would like a clean bright sound like Flea's on By the Way (RHCP). I assume this is mainly down to the bass and strings. (unfortunatly i only have a Squier P-bass, but the strings can be replaced). Am i right, or is there more to it?

As for the dirty, i really like the sound on Origin of Symetry(muse). I dont no how this is achieved, i no the he uses marshall, but not much more.

Any help as to how these sounds are achieved would be very much appreciated!! :D

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, flea uses a Boss distortion pedal.. Which I think is a harsh sounding distortion.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, you could always use a pedal if you can't get it from the amp.

4. yup, i think your looking more for overdrive than distortion tho, the sansamp BDDI is good, but maybe a bit pricey for you, theres a few out there, but thats the only one ive used

could always try looking for other Valve Emulation pedals