that famous tone...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassfacekevin, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to get that awesome warwick growly "sack full of marbles" tone, sans the warwick? I'm talking eq-ing amps, maybe adding a pedal, anything short of major rennovation to the bass. Thanks a lot!

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Get a bass with one or more pickups close to the bridge, that's a start....
  3. yeah, I mean, I play pretty close to the bridge on my basses, but I mean, it still dosen't get that particular sound... Anyone else have any ideas?
  4. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    While I love that phrase I must concede that it makes me think of a sound that doesn't resemble anything I've ever heard a bass produce. :eek: How about a sack of rubber marbles?

I always thought Warwicks sounded kind of ... rubbery. :p
  5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

Get a thicker neck IE: chop a bassball (bet you like how i spelt that) bat in to two, over the flat surface put some frets (mind the scale!), some tunners and then put it in your bass bolt it and string it!
  6. uh buy a warwick or just quit while you're ahead
  7. He said he didn't want a Warwick!
  8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    But he wants the tone! thats like "i need to produce cow milk without the cow!"
  9. So you're saying he should get a bass made from soy?
  10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man

Well, thats made my day! :p
  11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Nah its tone would be too healthy.
  12. Ah...that reminds me of a concept bass, the 'Toaster Bass' if you will. I bet if you duct taped a toaster to a Warwick, it might actually get lighter...o_O

13. Buy a Spector - the original and best!
  14. HAHA!

I don't know, man ..I always went for the "sack o' ball bearings" sound of a Rick:p the others said, pickups close to the bridge, and definately Bartolini pups to go in there