That Fender Jazz 24 is a serious offering.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkside 88, Aug 11, 2005.

1. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I A-B it against a Schecter Stilletto Custom. I thought that had some growl, but wow the Fender was a beast. I also prefered the Fender neck..and a little prettier.
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I wasen't too crazy about the bass. It seeems like a cheap Squier with a fake/photo quilt top and good electronics.

I compared it to a MIM Jazz Deluxe and IMO, the MIM beat it in tone, playability and feel for less $$$.
  3. utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    i got GAS for one of those. but, unfortunately, where i come from, a Marcus Miller V costs something like US$3k.
  4. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    If you buy one, don't get it mail order (unless they a photo of the actual bass you are buying).

I just received one from a online store, and I was all excited when it arrived! But that went down hill fast....the bass I pulled out of the box was absolutely horrible looking! I ordered the Sunburst Cherry Quilted Maple, what I got was a bass that had a piece of wood that looked like it came from the scrap bin. You could barely tell it was even quilted maple on it, and the wood was all blotchy. How it left the factory is beyond me. The quilted maple tops on the $199 SX/Brice basses looked 1000 better. This bass looked nothing like the product photos or even the photos posted by some TB members.

Ok, besides the bad looks, how was the bass...Well it did seem very well constructed, solid. The neck was very playable, not much different then my Standard Jazz (maybe a hair thicker). The action was very good, with no string buzzing problems. The weight was good as well as the balance.

Would I have kept it if the sound blew me away....maybe. But it did not. In fact I had a hard time trying to get a good sound out of it. It sounded to "processed" (due to the active electronics) for my taste and lacked the punch and warmth of my regular Jazz bass. Even with the EQ set flat, it just did not sound good. Maybe the strings were shot, maybe this bass was a dud? If it looked better, I might have tried putting another set of string on it and played around with it more. Well back in the box and off to Fedex!

I am used to using active electronics, both my Carvin's are active as well as my Alembic, so it was not like this was a new thing to me. Overall, both my Standard Jazz basses sounded way better, and with fewer knobs!

I even wrote an email to Fender (if they read it at all) saying they need to get off the pot and start looking into their quality control. If you sell a bass that one of the main features is a quilted maple top, you better damn well make sure it LOOKS like quilted maple, not some wood from the scrap bin!!!
  5. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I liked everyting on it minus the stock strings. A set of Rotosounds would be nice.
  6. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    And I very much liked the suit my needs great. Likely my next purchase.
  7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I put the old standby Dado XL170s on mine. It made the bass sound fatter but changed the color of the highs. :bassist:

We need more 2 octave Jazzes.
  8. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah..we need more modern Jazz offerings at this price point too. Everything about this bass screams Jazz tone, but with a shot of adreneline.
  9. There has been much discussion already:

I like the way that mine plays & feels, but as a fan of very low action, I am a bit disappointed...or perhaps spoiled by my Warwick usage. I like the basic concept of the J24, and I know that FMIC were obviously going for a price-point.
    Methinks that the next generation of this model will be improoved upon. What it mostly needs is reinforcement bars in the 12th-24th-fret area of the neck. The feel & tone are all right there; the J-sound is in there, but to paraphrase an old BP article, it's on steroids. I really enjoy the blend control's ability to take me to the right place in the range from warm to twangy for each song, whether I am fingering or picking. The toggle switch comes in handy when I need to jump out in the mix for a passage, or even a solo. My particular specimen looks nice, and I can tell that there is a certain FMT coloration to the sound. The ultimate improovement has already been investigated: Moses can build a graphite neck with Fender headstock and ship it within the USA for about $400. I am already considering this option, which for me would mean a lined fretless neck to create the ultimate fretless J (for me anyway), and an excuse to finally get my hands on a Geddy model as a passive workhorse for those 4-set gigs at the local watering hole.
  10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I tried one of these out last night. Quite nice, but definitely not my style. It reminded my why I didn't like the Quarter Pound pickups on my MIM Jazz. Nice neck, good sound if you go for the modern trebly "hifi" thing. Very good fit and finish typical of the better made in Korea stuff. I didn't really like it because it's not my style but it's a solid bass for the money regardless. I personally think a standard MIM is a significantly better instrument for less dough. Not as many "bells and whistles" though.

Damn that maple top is paper thin - very much like my Brice V2 quilt top.