That fender jazz sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    So I've been playing bass for a little while now. I started a couple of years ago on a cheap Peavey Millennium BXP, and eventually upgraded to a Peavey Grind NTB to test out the "humbucker sound" because I thought that's what I wanted.

Alas, now I play my Millennium more often, partly because I de-fretted it, but mostly because I really like that Jazz Bass sound. I'm thinking I made a mistake buying a humbucking bass.

I know there's ways to make a humbucking bass sound jazzy (I think EMG makes a pickup model that looks like a humbucker but operates like a single coil, right?), but it would almost be cheaper to get my hands on a jazz bass. The Grind and a Fender Jazz MIM are pretty much equal in value, so I might be able to find someone to trade.

Do you guys like the vintage tone of a single coil, or the fat, growly tone of a humbucker more? I don't know what I should do.
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'll take single coils any (and every) day.
  3. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    on my Peavey T-40, i run the bridge pickup in single coil mode, and the neck pickup in humbucker mode.

That way i can just switch between them or blend then on the fly :smug:
  4. I love the Jazz Bass tone. If that's what you're looking for, there's no better bass to produce it than a Jazz Bass! I just bought an SX Jazz bass and I'm very impressed with the sound and quality of this instrument, especially for the price!
  5. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Maybe you should look into basses (or electronics packages) that switch between humbucking and single coil modes. G&L makes them stock with those features. There are PLENTY of others that come this way as well. That way you have 3 coil modes to choose from before you even go into EQing which means insane tonal versatility.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yes. I love the vintage sound of my Jazz V. I love the fat growly tone of my Peavey Palaedium.
    Sorry, I can't help.