Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

That Free iPod deal, is it a scam?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Figjam, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Anyone else seen that ad to get a free iPod? Well a few of my friends did it, and they really recieved the iPOd, and all the thing asked in return was that they give the email address of 5 other people, so they can email them the ad or something.

Is this a scam? Im telling my friends not to do it just cause it looks hazy, but they did indeed get the iPod.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'll bitchslap the fool that sells me out for the promise of getting a free iPod.

Even if it's not a scam... I'll still stand by my assumption it is.

Why would they give you something for free??? they have to be selling addresses.

:scowl:

3. They sell your address so THOSE people can give you MORE free stuff!

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    So far all i can think of is that they are selling addresses.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    it's a pyramid scheme, the price you pay for the 'free' iPod is giving your address and 5 friends addresses away to advertisers and junk mail.

If you can live with that, you'll get a free iPod, but they don't expect many people to follow through.

6. Personally, I like getting mail, even if it IS just junk. :meh:

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    But will 5 other friends?

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :rolleyes: I get at least 50 spam a day on top of the 100+ daily average work related.... no thanks.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    http://digdug.cx/ipod.html
    You have to actually convince 5 people to follow through as well. The tool at the above site thinks it's great, but I'd be rather annoyed.

10. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It would seem like it but no. If it's the deal I'm thinking of it's not. It's actually been featured on a couple of news programs.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

that doesn't change what it is. you need 5 people to get it, any of those 5 people you get will each need 5 more people if they want one too(and they will once they see you get yours) etc...etc.

that's a pyramid scheme.

actually, it's not technically a pyramind scheme, but it's a very similar concept.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This reminds me....can everyone PM their email addresses...just for personal reference of course.

brad cook

13. If they get a free iPod then they probably won't care. Plus, I could give them my neighbors address then when the iPod comes in they'll hobble over to my house and say "Oh dear it seems like someone made a spelling error, I think I got you're mail by mistake". Then I shall take the iPod and anytime some junk mail goes to her, she'll come over and I'll simply say "Nope, thats not mine"

Mean? Yes. Foolproof? Double yes.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im signing up with a bunch of e-mail acounts I created just for this. Ill update when I see how much spam they get and whether I get the iPod or not.

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you need REAL addresses not email addresses

and you need credit card numbers

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I havent gotten to that point in the registration, but if it does come up Ill ask friends to let me use their info but with the e-mails I used so we keep our e-mails clean and see what this does to the ones we use.

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    ::claps::

Nice quick work Mods.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I got suckered into something similar.

I was supposed to get a free Sony DVD Handycam. I was supposed to be a 'tester for consumer's something or other.'

I gave out three email addresses(had the friends' permission) and was supposed to take part in some free offers(pay S&H only on most of them) and then get my free DVD camera.

I had to pick 2 offers off of each page.

First paged I picked a sample diet plan, and a sample tooth whitener.

Second page I picked a BMG CD club membership and a Real Networks trial membership.

Third page, there are only three choices, and I have to pick two.

There are two different DirecTV offers(I am on a 2 year deal with Dish) and an autofinancing offer. GET THIS! In order to get the 'free DVD camera', you have to sign at least a 1 year deal with DirecTV, and get approved for and sign/contract the auto loan.

Man, I was pissed!:mad: Take part in free offers, indeed.:mad: