That Geddy Growl

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 'JC', Jul 21, 2005.

1. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Aside from the Geddy Jazz, what other basses can match this type of growl?

(I'm looking for answers besides 75 Jazz Bass or Fender Jazz Bass.)

And how much does that maple neck and finished fretboard have to do with it?
  2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Fretboard material and finish has very little to do with sound on a fretted bass. It's much more to do with strings, pickups, technique, etc, etc

I can't help with the recommendations bit because if I want growl a Jazz bass is the way to go. :D
  3. Okay, so you want the sound of the Geddy Jazz, but want suggestions other than Jazz basses? :confused:

The growl of the Jazz is pretty much what you will get from a Jazz bass.
  4. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004

Didn't he use a Ric on all of Permanent Waves?
  5. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    "about half" of Permanent Waves, according to Geddy in an old Guitar Player interview.
  6. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Levinson Blade.
  7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    yes, I love his Rickenbacker tone, so you might want to look into those, but Wal's are my favourite Geddy Lee basses. :ninja:
  8. I'll try to be as much help as I can. I'll start off by saying that, in my opinion, the MIM have limited growl to them but as you go higher up in Fender's line, like to the MIA Jazz, you get more growl.

I personally love my Geddy Lee Jazz and the only ones I have played that some close to matching its growl for me where the Vintage Re-issue Jazz basses and, even though I hate admitting it, the Marcus Miller Jazz also impressed me. I'm not a big fan of the Marcus Miller look but the sound was awesome.

Other than that there are other Jazz basses copies (cause we all know anything besides a Fender is just a copy) like stuff made by Yamaha that sounds good at a half decent price.

Hope I've been of some assistance.

Edit: I almost forgot, Rickenbackers do have a nice growl to them as well but they are a more expensive way off getting it.