Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

that geddy lee tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shwashwa, Jun 2, 2005.

1. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    forgive me if this has been discussed at length, but i was wondering what sort of overdrive preamps/pedals are out there that can give that geddy lee / moving pictures growl... i have a tech 21 bass driver, but that sounds more like a fuzz box to me than like a nice warm overdriven tube crunch. is that tone possible with the sans amp? what else can give that sort of tone? thanks

2. Lord Fender

Lord Fender

Jun 2, 2005
    Hmmm...I use a ME50B, that some what gives me the ability to match the tone in YYZ. Now for the other songs, I lack a good synth pedal so its hard to do a TomS feel. I think a Avalon Tube box is what you are looking for just a broad Geddy Lee feel.

3. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    yeah, the yyz tone, the red barchetta tone etc, not the synth aspect...

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Using my Sansamp BDDI and a jazz bass I can nail virtually any of Geddy's tones. I suggest further tweaking and experimenting with your existing Bass Driver DI.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've heard the SABDDI is the ultimate Geddy Lee tone making machine. I want to get one just to get that tone.

What does Geddy actually use though?

6. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    His main rig (these days) is a mix of Avalon U5s and Sansamp RBIs (as well as other things)

7. and i hate to throw this in as well, but doesn't geddy have pretty low action and plays really hard on the strings?

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yep, a lot of his sound comes from his technique. He really digs in with his "main bastid" (his middle finger, as he calls it.)