That gig.........

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by relman, Jun 23, 2001.

1. ...was horrible. It wasn't even a gig!!!!!

My music school has a year end concert, where we get to perform. I had to play (to my aggravation) a medley of Lynyrd Skynyrd tunes...lovely. Out of 28 other musicians there, I was the only bassist.
    We were the last act. My teacher told me that i didn't have to bring my rig, that they had an amp set up. Yup, you guessed it, i had to play through a 15 watt, 8 inch Peavey guitar amplifier, that struggled to work. The tone was incredibly sharp and horrendous, even playing basically on the neck of my flatwound-strung bass. I couldn't go direct because the tech didn't have a DI.
    In the two seconds i had, i cranked the bass knob and cut the other two frequencies in half. STILL HORRIBLE. The playing was ok, i even got to add some slides and fills, as the 3 guitarists were playing straight.
    After we played, my teacher told me "Nevermind what I say next year, BRING YOUR AMP!!!
    I laughed my ass off.

What's really good is that i got to meet my new teacher, a great Jazz bassist i had seen play before...yay!!!!!
  2. At least you can look at it and laugh. I mean some people get so disappointed that they don't get that "live" kick outta some shows, but hey there's always next time right!

Well I know about those Peavy's. I set my brothers band up today, did a bit of sound work, and the lead guitarist only had one of those. Well problem solvered when he had to compete with full quad box rigs? Mic him up, turn the volume to only say half on the amp and turn him up on the desk. How come they didn't do that to your bass? Dump a mic in front of it so that way u get the tone, but use the desk as your main volume/preamp????

3. there wasn't time for a freaking soundcheck!!