Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

That gritty tone..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by uly_, Jan 13, 2006.

1. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Hi Talkbassers!

So I just ran through my old cd collection today and I stumbled over (better run and hide now :bag: ) Alanis Morisette - You Oughta Know and I wasn't really paying attention to other instruments than the bass.

Know it might be a really dumb question here :D but IF ! you happen to have that tune, would you please listen to it and tell me how to get that gritty tone the bass has got on it?

Is that the definition of "overdriven tube growl"? Asking because I've got a tube preamp incomming in a week or two.

Thanks in advance!

2. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    If my knowledge of guest appearances is correct, Flea is playing bass on that track, with Dave Navarro on guitar. It is a kick ass bassline too.

I'm not too up on how Flea gets his tone but to my memory the 'gritty sound' you refer to is pretty similar to how he sounds on the One Hot Minute album (their most underrated IMO) so if you do a search for that you may get some success. However, i do know Flea does not use a huge amount of effects so his tone may be determined by the bass he uses, his amp and maybe his pickups too? Someone else is probably more qualified than me to comment though.

I have to agree though it's a really dirty fantastic tone i love it.

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I have seen Flea using Marshall equipment.

4. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Ooh, I didn't know it was actually flea playing on that track. Thanks a bunch!

Just had a look at his gear and it seems he's using a Boss ODB-3. Could it be that he's using that on 'You Oughta Know', just set to very little grit? It actually sounds like a little touch of overdrive. That's just how I hear it.

Thanks a lot! Was very helpful! :)

5. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Flea also USED to use Music Man basses, now he uses Modulus. And, that is that overdriven tube growl.

6. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Ah well, I'm playing a jazz. I'm just more comfortable on a jazz bass than a musicman, played both when I bought my bass 3 years ago :)

jeeezzz now I'm even more excited to recieve my tube preamp :D hope I wont get disappointed! :eek:

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I think Flea is done with the Modulus endorsement also. One of the bass mags carried an ad of Flea shilling for GK while holding a Fender

8. A Fender? No way....A Flea-P?

9. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    The key to getting that tone is to carefully control the tone and dynamics with your hands. Just wanking through tubes isn't gonna get you home...

10. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Pardon me, but.. well I do know that you are able to control the volume of the tone by playing without a compressor, but how would that give me overdriven sound? :)

11. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Well, what I meant was that just putting tube gear in your rig isn't going to do the job. You've still got to play in a way that brings out the sound you're after from the gear.

(I wasn't implying that you intended to merely wank...)