Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

That guy from Nirvana

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JWC, Feb 17, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I think the guys name was Kris Noveselick or something. Anyway, I was listening to old Nirvana today and realized that this guys bass lines are about on the Michael Anthony level. Can the guy really play if he had too? What is the big goof up to these days? The only real memory I have of him is the big fool throwing a bass up the air and it landing on his head.

2. Yeah Krist Novoselic, that guy could play. Now hes in another seattle band I forget their name but it ends in 66 I think. Anyway I think he was pretty good, well I think anyone that is better than me is good, when I get up to your level JWC ill probably turn on a lot of successful bassists too, because I will be better than them, for now though he came up with some creative, granted easy lines, kept good rhythm, and had great stage presence, thats enough for me right now to say he was a good bassist.

3. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    not everyone can be/has to be on the Michael Manring/Geddy Lee/Jaco/whatever level of talent. Nobody was particularly virtuosic in Nirvana--Kurt Cobain was probably the most talented of the three, though he was very self-effacing about his guitar playing. as for Krist, I like some of his riffs on Bleach, but mostly he played simply. (and there's nothing wrong with that!)

though he is about the goofiest-looking bass player I've ever seen. (not counting me)

4. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Mikey, whats up with you bashing me. I didn't say anything about my level of playing. Did I fool?

5. krist novoselic is also on a cd called The No WTO Combo or somethin like that. its a cd he and jello biafra put together as one time kinda thing. hes in another band too, i forgot the name though.

and i think dave grohl has the most talent of the three. you guys gotta see the drum duels he does at foo fighters concerts with taylor hawkins.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...word on the street is that certain "legit" players ghosted for Novaselic on the records(like Patitucci on "Heart-Shaped Box"). Could be a rumor, I'm not sure.
    It's an age-old practice; a guy may be able to bluff through a "live" performance; a studio environment is something different(usually).

7. How did I bash u, JWC, I was saying id do the same thing! U read too much into my messages, u fool, it was not sarcastic but rather the truth, its logic, when people acheive a certain playing or whatever status, most not all, will look down on those below them, and that can't do what they can, and consider them not as good. I said id do the same thing as u. Now if I wanted to bash u id bring up that gun topic, and stick some Canadian sense in your head, but I have not gone their, so dont tell me im bashing u when im in agreement, damn.

8. That guy had a few really weird looking basses.

9. I personally believe JWC has that extremely redneck thing in him that makes him look for a fight around everycorner....hehehehehehe...kinda reminds me of the simpsons.

"lets fight!"

"Them's Fightin words!!!"

hahahahahahaha

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    he had some damn good lines... listen to "lounge act' from nevermind... that's some good stuff

11. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Good, you should always start childish name calling. That'll show people you really think things through. :rolleyes: ;)

12. now now cats!! lets chill a bit!!

the band that he's in is called 'sweet 75'

i quite like his lines, they are really catchy!

13. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Now gimmie a damn break Funk!!!!!! I am no redneck whatsoever. If you knew me in real life, I am sure we'd be great friends, but my personalit onlines is a little over the top. Well, strike that, I'm a dick in real life too. Cheers/

14. hahahaha, sorry man, wasnt tryin to label you a redneck, just thought it was the best way to describe it cause that damn episode of the simpsons was in my head, sorry a little rude on my part dude

15. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    **** bashing each other LET'S BASH SOME GUITARISTS *RAWR!!!!*

16. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    ...word on the street is that certain "legit" players ghosted for Novaselic on the records(like Patitucci on "Heart-Shaped Box"). Could be a rumor, I'm not sure.
    It's an age-old practice; a guy may be able to bluff through a "live" performance; a studio environment is something different(usually). - what the hell are you talking about???

I know for a fact that Krist Novoselic never had anyone ghost for him when Nirvana recorded because i am a really big nirvana fan, and he is a legit player, listen to some of the bootlegs when they played live or the muddy banks of wishkah (i'm not just saying this because i love nirvana), he's probably one of my favorite bass players, his tone is great, and he plays his bass right above his shin, tell me thats not hard, the guy has tons of talent, and put on a great show. You can't diss Krist.

17. BasketCase

BasketCase

Jan 1, 2001
    I think he used a black Gibson Ripper.

18. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Heart Shaped Box is one of the best songs that I know of, and the bass on that song is just plain weird and absolutely original.
    But I also know songs where he isn't original at all, I think he just didn't care.

19. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    ok, if he's not original sometimes, give me a line that he plays that isn't,

20. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    go listen to lounge act