That hyperbolic sonic sweetener

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kickysam49, Apr 15, 2024.

1. kickysam49

kickysam49 World Heavyweight Champion Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2022
    MA
    You have a class d amp with a nice flexible clean tone, nice built in drive, good di, overall you like your sound. Especially when it’s loud.

You have a compressor you like too.

But sometimes you want it to be less “hi-fi”… you want something to have a little less sterility from your cleanest cleans. Not distortion, at least not in the most obvious sense. But coloration, to go between your last pedal in line and your amp input. You don’t want it to take over your tone, but you do want to smooth out the top and warm it up.

In pedal form.

What do you (me) consider?

Phaidrus and DanTheMan2112 like this.
  2. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Sushibox More or Finally. Night owl Edison.

3. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Low Pass Filter? Maybe a Broughton Resonant Frequency Equalizer?

jam.majors, Zooberwerx and kickysam49 like this.
  4. gtirard

gtirard

Feb 22, 2020
    Paris, France
    kickysam49 likes this.
  5. I got a bk3 v1 clone - most demos seemed to be with cut low and the hifi clank but I set mine with a bit more blend with full lows and reduced treble clank.. comes out as my bass tone but with a bit more of a smooth overdrive, not gritty but not sterile / hifi either.
    Maybe see if a used B3k or a clone can help

6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Sushibox More if you want something kleeeeen and so subtle it won't be apparent in a live mix (mainly for recording IMHO/IMHE), Finally if you want a DI attached and no eq.....but my preference would be a Sushibox Underground Accelerator....the same circuit as the Finally, without the DI, but with an added passive Fender tone stack. VERY versatile....can go from sparkly clean to filthy and the gain level can be customized by changing from the standard 12ax7 tube to a 12at7, 5771 or 12au7 for less gain and a broader sweep in the cleanish range. If you turn off the tone stack via the toggle (newest version only) it's exactly the same sound as a Finally, but sans DI. Therefore if you don't need (or want to pay for) the DI, the UA is a better option......and if you want to go big rather than going home, his 2 channel options (Dreamcatcher and Detective) are amazing. I have no affiliation, just a moderate addiction......

groovepump, Phaidrus and SemiDriven like this.
  7. I use a Creation Audio Labs Grizzly Bass for this.

8. JoeDoe

JoeDoe Drummist turning bassist. Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2018
    The Shoals
    Sushi Box MORE

jmmyoh and JC Nelson like this.
  9. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    This is exactly my setup. I use the Edison to give the 3 dimensional warm tubey effect and the HPF/LPF as intended but set the gain @ 9:00 to 10:00 to give a hint OD. Not sure if anyone is using their Broughton HPF/ LPF the same way but it works for me.
    IMG_6264.JPG

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
  10. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Broughton Audio Studio variant for some Neve goodness. I prefer the Studio Boost Mini. A Zero-Five Lowrider is also excellent.

Danny C likes this.
  11. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    I use a single stage filter (sort of like a cheap Alembic F-1) that lets me pretty quickly finesse a tone when I’m switching basses. Also, can use a
    Effectrode la-1 (or other compressor) to “smooth out” of course, (that’s sorta what compressors do). Depends on how much alteration to your sound you’re looking to achieve in that last step.

Of course, I may not have understood your question at all.

12. halech54

halech54

Jul 15, 2015
    Richmond VA,
    Old school Way Huge Pork Loin, don't necessarily have to use the gain side of it at all; just roll in the clean blend which has a tone in and of itself

Phaidrus, Hans Gruber and ole Jason like this.
  13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    You've described an Xotic EP booster almost perfectly. It does just what you're asking for.

Phaidrus, ravlin and HolmeBass like this.
  14. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    I always thought I wanted the cleanest sound, until I got my modern hifi rig and it was a bit too clean and full range. I solved this problem with a Broughton Hpf/lpf pedal and a transparent overdrive. Took me several drive pedals to find what works for me.

15. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I've been using a Strymon Deco for this purpose on my small board. Bonus, it also has tape modulation built in on a separate footswitch.

Honorable Mentions:
    • EQD Speaker/Special Cranker.
    • Fairfield Accountant.
    • Hudson Broadcast (I use the AP version)

16. kbarboza4

kbarboza4 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2012
    TN
    I'd also look into sushi box. I've only owned a "space heater," so I don't know much about the "more," but it had some serious tonal voodoo to it.

Zbysek likes this.
  17. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    EBS ValveDrive, if you can find one. I love it for warming up any amp with tube goodness and a little grit (when I want it), without altering things too much. BUT - if you want it to, it can growl like crazy. Or, perhaps a Tech21 VT Bass set to the Ampeg 'Flip Top' settings for gentle influence.

18. JoeDoe

JoeDoe Drummist turning bassist. Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2018
    The Shoals
    I’d echo the VT idea. Heck, even running it flat just with the bite button pressed will work wonders.

19. Parzival

Parzival Stay Tuned! Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Alabama
    I would second the Underground Accelerator. But, another option that would be perfect for what you are describing and can be had for a lot less and is a small package is the JHS Prestige. Set it up at about 9-10 o'clock and it will give you exactly what you are looking for.

JoeDoe likes this.
  20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    I’d consider trying a Barber Linden or an Exotic XP Boost. There’s also the Southampton Fifth Gear V2 if you want something a little stronger.

There’s also compressors like the Mad Professor Forest Green and the Doc Lloyd Photon Death Ray that can add some subtle warmth and body to an otherwise overly clean and hifi sounding signal chain.

But my favorite pedal for sound sculpting and enhancement is the Dry Bell Unit 67. It’s basically replaced my entire pedalboard when I’m playing live, except for a tuner and a DI. There’s a good review of it here. And I have to say it’s everything they say it is. Well worth a look. :thumbsup:

SemiDriven and Jazzdogg like this.