That 'King Kunta' Filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Oreo_04, May 21, 2016.

1. Oreo_04

Oreo_04

May 21, 2016
    Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows how I can emulate that fat subby filter bassline that Thundercat plays for Kendrick Lamar's King Kunta?

Well, to be specific, how I might be able to get close to that sound without using a Moogerfooger Low Pass Filter that Thundercat uses. If that is even possible, I don't think I can afford to get a moogerfooger, plus that pedal is huge!

Would you recommend an envelope filter? I have never used one but from what I've seen on YouTube, a lot of these pedals sound rather quacky (if that is a thing). I am looking to get that bouncy subby vibe like the song, and wondering if any of you might know/recommend a pedal that is not too expensive and might get close to that vibe.

Thanks in advance!

And for those who might not have heard the song:

https://www.youtube....h?v=hRK7PVJFbS8

2. Grapevine921

Grapevine921 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I can get the right vibe with a very tame setting on my DOD Meatbox. I don't think a filter is really necessary. Maybe try out some octave effects?

3. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    That's my initial thought too. 100 percent clean but with Low and Sub knobs cranked gets a deep bassy sound like that.

I'd think any filter would work but with the filter froze and the frequency in the low end spectrum.

4. blakelock

blakelock

Dec 16, 2009
    i love this line too and have been learning it. is it taken from another song? or original?

my 2cents for the effect would be an electro-harmonix synth pedal with the sub octave cranked