that little jerk

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Oct 3, 2004.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Last night, my band played what was our first, and hopefully last for awhile out of town show. I was asked if the second band's bassist could use my amp, so I said sure. Well after my band plays, I cut off my amp, start packing up my basses, and while I'm behind putting my basses away, I hear a SIZZLE POP! I look in, to see this kid who couldnt be more than 13 or 14, plugging in his bass while my amp is on. I yelled to him "Hey! Watch the speakers, don't do that!" He apologized, and I went back to packing up my stuff, furious becasue of other events that had happened that night. As expected, when they finish, this kid just unlugs his bass and throws my cable onto the floor, followed by POP. Have you ever wanted to just knock someone on the head for mistreating your gear?
  2. CurbowPete

Aug 28, 2004
    Yes, that's why there are VERY few people that are allowed to go anywhere near my gear
  3. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Yeah, we have this road who has always offered to help me tune and set up my basses for shows, but I always decline. After this, no one is ever using my amp again, but me.
  4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I've had a few mishaps with people on the dance floor knocking my mic stand into my basses. This is followed up by my 'Charles Manson-look'.
    A drunken patron once repeatedly knocked my mic stand into my Rick's headstock, chipping the finish. The stage was rather high, so I postioned my foot on the end of the stage, when he got close enough, I kicked his melon really hard. Problem solved. (I know, I should probably attend an anger-management class :p )
    I'm very particular with who I let play my basses. At this time my Roscoe, Modulus, Alembic, and Rick are off-limits to most people. But I don't worry too much about my Precisions Spector, or Jazzes.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Opps! Amps forum, duh! I'm also particular with who I let play through my amp.
  6. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Yup, I've had things like this happen in the past too. Simple solution; NOBODY touches my gear, unless;

1)I know them very well

2)it's agreed upon ahead of time.

That may sound a bit rough, but I can't afford to replace things that people like that eventually break.

Hey Art, I hear what you're saying. It's even worse when somebody with too much alcohol in them wants to come up, and sing into your mike during a song.

BTW, did the whole rest of that second band have to use your guys stuff, or just their 13 year old bass player? Where was his gear?

Bottom line;never let strangers usr your stuff, ever.
  7. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Actually, my bands guitarist used the second bands amps. But this kid apperently didn't have an amp. He used a kerry green Epiphone non-reverse Thunderbird, which either suggested was borrowing it or he knew something about basses.
  8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Well, if he plugged in while the amp was on, then threw your cord to the ground with the amp on, I don't suspect he knows very much.

Or, could just be what the thread title is :eyebrow:
  9. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Been there, done it and bought a t-shirt! :)
    It's a shame players have to worry about stuff like that but unfortunately there's a lot of young or inexperienced players out there that just don't have a good understanding on what to do and what to not do when using bass equipment. I had similar instances happen when I left my amp in the church youth bldg. and have been faced with it from time to time when playing concerts with other bands. You hate to come across as a jerk but I can assure you that they won't pay for it if they break it! :crying:
  10. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    First off, it's cool you let someone else use your gear, but next time, tell them to stop beeing a bum and get their own OR set up for them and let them just play their bass.
    I would be so pissed if that happened. I would tell him to be careful with it and when ever he is making that pop noise he is EXTREMELY fatally damaging it (scare him into believing it) . The drunk guy, I would tell him to stay the **** away from my gear or else I am going to force feed a whole bottle of beer to him, but not through his mouth.
  11. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Unfortunate that that happened, but I suggest this:

Being that he is young, he PROBABLY didn't know better. Sternly tell him what he did wrong and why. He may not know how harmful (and extremely annoying) it is to plug in while the amp is on and volume is up. Second, tell him NOT to do it when he is done playing while the amp is powered up. Again, he PROBABLY didn't know. If after you explain this bass player to bass player, he develps and attitude, simply not allow him to use your gear!

Also, if it were me, after the pop incident, I would have been up there helping him get "his sound" but really up there making sure he didn't dime the bass knob and risk blowing the speakers. We all have to start somewhere and learn from our peers. Jerks will be there along the way, but that comes with the territory. A little forethought in how to protect your gear, especially in bar situations, will make your gigs more enjoyable in the long run. It is good to have a secondary bass to take to rowdy places, so you won't be so upset if something happens to it. Save the prize bass for more controlled situations. Remember, not everyone respects stuff like you may...some musicians are somewhat notorious for not taking care of expensive, quality gear...sad, but true.
  12. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I pack my amp up. I tie all my cables. I put my bass in its case. I take the bass (in case) out to the car. I take my head out to the car. I take my cab out to the car. I make sure that theyre secure in the car and nothing is going to fall on them, or that they temselves are going to fall on anything else. I take my things in from the car. People other than me are not allowed to touch them. I set my own eq. I check my own sound.I pack my amp up. I tie all my cables. I put my bass in its case. I take the bass (in case) out to the car. I take my head out to the car. I take my cab out to the car. I make sure that theyre secure in the car and nothing is going to fall on them, or that they temselves are going to fall on anything else. I get home and i carefully take everything back upstairs.

All my stuff is in great condition.
  13. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    i've let people play through my rig and or bass before,....but i prefer to know the person. if not a good rule of thumb is if the guy has gear of the same caliber as yours he's probably going to treat yours the same as he treats his. if he's used to playing through crappy gear then he needs "help" when operating your stuff(don't touch the knobs dummy!!!) guys that play though beginner-type amps are used to cranking the bass all the way up and probably don't realize that the rig might cost more than their car. but hey everybody's gotta learn sometime and i try to guide young musicians in a resectful way to pay back the guys that put up with me when i was a punk kid.
  14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My take on this:

1. Never let anyone use your rig.

2. If you do, make sure you know the person well.

3. If you don't know the person, be sure to stand by your rig and supervise.

4. If you don't supervise or know the person, then its YOUR fault for not taking care of your gear.
  15. I'm always unplugging my bass while my amp is on, especially when I'm switching basses.....what's the problem with this?
  16. Nothing as long as you either turn the master volume down or you engage the mute switch :)
  17. Colarndo

Mar 7, 2004
    Actually, if you use K-3 Silent cables like me, the signal auto cuts off when you unplug the cable. Of course, if it comes loose when playing, you have to te plug it again. Pros and Cons.
  18. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    u want me to take him out xcentral? pay for the ticket and give me that p-bass and nobody will ever hear from him again :bassist:
  19. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    As far as amps go, if I haven't had a chance to talk to the other bassist or know them personally, I won't lend it out.

But, I do believe in helping those in need, so I bring an extra cheapo DI box that I can lend out. If my band is providing the PA, then I can control the sound form the board. If someone else's providing the sound, then it becomes their problem. From there, my rig and are not involved. If the guy can't get his/her sound from the DI, it's not my problem. As an old sound guy told me years ago - you bring "your sound" with you, if not you have no reason to complain about not getting your sound.

There was a time where it seemed like I did this often. I contemplated bringing cheap DIs and selling them to people. But since we're all poor musicians, no need to gouge people unnecessarily.
  20. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    have you ever seen the kick from a 18" while half voloume and someone makes it pop!....... scary!