1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

That Loony Tried to Attack Me Again Today...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by WillPlay4Food, Feb 14, 2005.

1. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Some of you may have read my So I was assaulted by a loony this morning... thread from January.

Well, today, that loony was on the bus I take home from work at night. I didn't notice at first that he was on the bus so I took a seat. The guy then proceeds to get up out of his seat and push me as he moved to the back of the bus. So, I'm freaking out. Obviously a no contact order means nothing to this guy. So, as the bus gets closer to my stop, I ready the pepper spray that I bought on 1/4/05, when he first attacked me.

As I go to leave the bus, this guy uses his body to push me out of the bus. I yell "No Contact!" at him, but there was no reaction. Then he moved like he was going to attack me so I sprayed his ass. Then I ran home as fast as I could and called the cops.

So the cops arrested him for breach of peace. They said that's all they can do since the guy didn't use his hands to push me out of the bus. So, presumably the guy could make bail tonight then I have to worry if he's going to be haunting my bus stop tomorrow. I probably won't take the bus though. :\

Ugh, this sucks. Today was my first day back at work after taking a month off to bond with my son. My FIRST FREAKING DAY!!!!

I've never been in fights so I don't know how to fight. That's why I bought the pepper spray. At least this time it stopped him in his tracks for about 5 seconds. It really didn't seem to affect him too much.

Anyway I just needed to vent because this f$%^$*g sucks. I never did anything to this guy and he seems hell bent on trying to attack me whenever he sees me. Yuk. :mad:

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Fighting's easy as long as you can make sure he's on the ground and you're not. Gas him, punch him in the throat, and then kick his ribs and kidneys until the cops show up to take him off your hands. If it doesn't do anything else, you can at least rest easy that it really hurts to breathe through broken ribs, and he will be pissing blood for the forseeable future. :)

Seriously, though. It sucks that you gotta put up with that. You're doing all the right things so far, and I commend you for your restraint.

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Buy a retractible baton - you are not likely to kill him with it, but it will sure as hell help you if you get into a fight with him (and is easy to carry). I would suggest not getting a gun or a knife because you will probably kill the guy and have a barrel of legal troubles that could ruin your life.

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    You need to stop being so complete honest.

I was there.
    He did put his hands on you. :D

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Forgot something:

Tell me about your pepper spray. What brand is it, how hot is it rated to be, etc?

Fox Labs, from what I understand, is the best and does the best job of convincing somebody to sit down and think things over for a little while. Be aware that people can develop a tolerance to it, where it doesn't affect them as much; and the whole thing depends on the individual's physiology and how capsacin (sp?) extract affects them. I know a guy that could squirt it on a taco and do little more than sweat after eating it. Consider a taser, maybe. 500,000 volts hurts like ****, and I'm told it's worse than pepper spray as far as pain and containment goes (you don't risk spraying yourself or walking into the cloud accidentally, either).

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Some states and cities have their own laws about ASP and other retractable batons. In some cities, only cops can carry them legally, and if you use one (even in defense), you will go to jail as well. It's a good idea, but like the gun, the spray, and the taser suggestion I made before, there are downsides to them all, and it's ultimately up to you to make sure that you're acting within the law.

I do urge you to worry about your ass first, before you can worry about your ass in jail.

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Just happen to be carrying a rather large maglite in your bag in case the lights go out on the way to work. Problem solved! :D

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Also, you may want to start self-defence classes, if possible. Keep the spray with ya, but always have backup options as well, cos well, ya never know. Sorry to hear about this, and I hope the best for you, and the worst for him.

Ray

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    That's actually a really great idea. I know more than a few people that do just that.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Sadly, this came to use for me once when I got attacked at night... I was coming back in to my dorm room after stargazing and one person blindsided me. After the inital hit I was on the ground, but the maglite (6 cell) was still in my hand, and when I saw him over me, I swung it at his forehead, which sent him stumbling, then a swift kick in the throat put him down.

Ray

11. The only advice that's not violent that I can give you is to simply watch for the guy and try to avoid him. If you do see him following you or whatever, try to get to a locale that has lots of witnesses.

Preferably a police station or the nearest Navy SEAL training base:D

Other than that, if he attacks you again, just be sure to maintain your position AWAY from him. If he charges, back off and to the side. Just try and keep on the defensive. And use the ENTIRE can of spray. Some people can develope a partial or total immunity to pepper spray, so hit him with everything you got.

And get a cell phone for immeadiate contact with the Police. The sooner they can get there, the more likely that they will be able to pin him for assault (some bruises fade after only a few minutes)

If you can get him for Assault and Battery, that's a felony charge, and at least here in Oregon that's a 5 year minimum sentance. With his past 2 attacks, he's more likely to get a stiffer sentance.

Good luck. And if you need a posse for a little Vigilante Justice, you know where to e-mail.:D

Rock on
    Eric

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Learn to fight, and kick his ass.

Very few guys don't take a hint after a good old fashioned ass kicking.

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Actaully on second thoughts, I would just carry Mike Money around with you as a decoy. I mean, who wouldn't want to kick his ass over yours?

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    +1

Good luck with it, that sucks.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think retractable battons are illegal in most of the US but like they've said, a flashlight isnt.

If you dont know how to throw a punch, then kick him in the nuts. Im normally against any kind of groin attacks, but if he goes after you a 3rd time, then he's asking for it.

16. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    OK, I'll try to answer all the questions posed so far in this thread.

Eyescream:

Self defense laws say this: if you can run away then you have to. If I were to start beating on him after I sprayed him I could be arrested for assault.

Also, I like the maglite idea. I have one of the 3 D cell models, that would work, but then I would either have to be ready with it, or fend off attacks until I could get it out. Since he was on the bus I readied myself for trouble and had my pepper spray in my hand and loaded as I got off the bus. If I didn't it probably would've come to blows quickly.

The brand of pepper spray I have is Sabre brand. I got it at the gun shop when this guy first attacked me. Supposedly it's 1/3 tear gas, 1/3 pepper spray & 1/3 UV identification dye. The active ingredients are listed as:

CS Military Tear Gas
    Oleoresin Capsicum (red pepper)
    plus UV dye

17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

For some reason, I think I could take this guy.

18. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    There was a whole bus full of witnesses, plus there were people at the strip mall across the street. Witnesses don't seem to matter to this guy.

The police station is 1.5 blocks away from my bus stop.

That was my problem the first time, I had no time to react. I was so hopped up on adrenalin this time I would've moved to the side and tried to drive him to the ground if he went to tackle me.

I have a cell phone. When I called 911 the first time it took over 10 minutes for an officer to arrive. Remember, this was 1.5 blocks away from the police department. If the guy wasn't so nonchalant the first time he would've never been arrested. :\

They didn't consider today's attack an assault because he didn't use his hands, just his body. I guess I needed for him to hit me before I could've had him arrested for assault. He was only charged with 3rd degree assault and 2nd degree breach of peace for the January attack, & both of those are misdemeanors.

Thanks for the well wishes.

My next plan of attack is to get some self-defense training. This guy lives like a block from me so who knows when I'll be seeing this guy again. :(

19. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, I think, isn't it if you get so many misdameanors the charges get worse?

Ray

20. A blow to the throat will seriously disoreint him.