1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

That loud boomy sound, how do I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Euies, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Euies

Euies

Jan 7, 2017
    Whenever I go up (closer to the body) on the fretboard, it has a tendency (as the strings are thick) to make a loud boomy sound.
    I've tried cutting the mids and the low-mids, even the lows, but nothing really worked.

What frequency do I cut (I'm asking as I don't think I experimented enough)?

If it's not the EQ I have to worry about. What is it?
    I would greatly appreciate to know, as I've only been playing for 3 months.

DLemos likes this.
  2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Probably a technique issue rather than a eq issue.

3. Euies

Euies

Jan 7, 2017
    Probably. I've tried being softer on thicker strings, it helps a lot but for some reason I feel like I'm still hearing that boomy noise.

I was trying to mix guitars once and I added a pitch-shifter (an octave down) at half-way, but I was still hearing that boomy sound, using the EQ, I tried to cut the low-mids but I still heard it (just not as much).

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Try plucking closer to the bridge when you go up there. Imagine that when you move up the fret board you are actually shortening the length of the string (and technically you are). The closer to the middle of the string you pluck, the more boomy it will sound. So when you are way up on the fret board likely you are plucking around the middle of the string. Pluck more toward the bridge when you go up there.

And Welcome to TalkBass!

5. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Could it be a cabinet issue? Some amp/cab combinations, especially coupled to a wood floor, can "boom" on low notes, especially below A.

werdna1999 and brbadg like this.
  6. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    HPF.

7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    More info is needed.
    What kind of bass do you play?
    What kind of strings do you use?

8. Euies

Euies

Jan 7, 2017
    I only got my bass ~3 months ago

It's a Squier p-bass
    I use Rotosound swing 66 brights (gauge 50)

My amp is a cheapo "Silvertone" Ba X

9. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    THAT.......may be your problem!!!!

Silvertone BAXS Bass Amp
    Specifications
    • 10W RMS/20 Watt Peak
    • 6.5 Inch Speaker
    • Single Input
    • 4 Band EQ (High, High-Mid, Low-Mid, Low Tone Controls)
    • Headphone Output
    • Master Volume
    Silvertone.
    TEN WATTS???
    6.5 inch speaker??

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    brbadg likes this.
  10. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Do this:Take your bass to a guitar store and play it throught a larger high watt amp an see if it sounds 'boomy"

11. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    That's what happens when you change your plucking hand position.

If you want a tighter, punchier sound, pluck closer to the bridge; if you want a warmer, thicker sound, play closer to (or even on top of) the neck :thumbsup:

12. madbass6

madbass6 Banned

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    Ok..
    That could be a number of things.
    .Amp
    .Pick ups settings jazz/humbuckers/ EMG VS BARTS ECT.
    .Onboard Preamp settings
    .Speaker configurations.
    10s VS 12 VS 15 VS 18 etc.
    it could even be the Bass it self !
    it can also be a technique thing !

SO with all that being said you need to do your home work!
    I would start with putting your Bass on flat! mess around with the amps eqs first and then mess around with the bass knobs ! also consider speaker configurations In my experience
    (and opinion) I find that 10s give more of a punch and less of that booming sound in comparison to 15s /18s
    Again that's just my experience and opinion!
    Good luck , Hope this helps!!

13. Play guitar.

14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that's what it sounds like when you play up higher like that. the idea is you find the place to pluck so that it sounds right, which as you've discovered is probably farther back than that.

at this stage, don't worry about EQ and stuff, just worry about practicing and getting better! that little amp is never going to sound good, but it doesn't need to, you just need to hear yourself so you can play.

15. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    This is the best answer right here:

Additionally, I will add: It is important to "mute" (or "dampen") the unplayed strings. Most bass players do this with the fingers and/or thumbs and/or palms of their right and/or left hand. If you haven't paid attention to this before, experiment with different muting techniques, and notice how much punchier and less boomy the low notes can sound when the unplayed strings are stopped from ringing out.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :)

MDBass likes this.
  16. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    Play with a pick. That and the HPF.

17. All basses are like this. Playing close to the body on the thicker strings will give you a more boomy-full sound. Every bass does this. It's the physics of string vibration at that general size and length.

18. DiMarco

DiMarco Guest

Feb 4, 2010
    Two Fingers has already said it. Technique.

Most basses will sound more boomy when playing the frets closer to the body.
    For this exact reason I play my A on the fifth fret on the E a lot instead of on an open A string. It sounds better.
    Move your right hand closer to the bridge when playing beyond the 12th fret for a more open sound.

Also, your 6.5" combo amp can't really cope with the low end so it will likely sound bad when the tone gets more boomy. Try something with a 10" speaker, or one of those nifty little Phil Jones combos as a practicing amp.

When the amp can handle it, you will appreciate the tonal differences at the different locations on your neck.

madidus likes this.
  19. Euies

Euies

Jan 7, 2017
    I got muting down first day xdd

20. Euies

Euies

Jan 7, 2017
    Also, when I said "go closer" I was talking about my fretting hand, for clarity.