1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

That Metal Show | That Metal Gear with Billy Sheehan

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Richland123, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    That Metal Show | That Metal Gear with Billy Sheehan

2. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I'm not too big a fan of his tone or of his various bands, but I'm a fan of his as a person. How he deals with fans and how he always seems to want to help people understand how to play. Guy never judges anybody. He's clearly very talented, it's just not my style of music.

Wookieeboy, pjbassist and Dr. Cheese like this.
  3. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    He certainly was one of the most awesome bass players out of the many I've seen on various Steve Vai tours.

nixdad likes this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I got to see Sheehan hold a clinic, and he struck me as a genuinely nice human being. I asked about a snarky comment Stanley Clarke made about him, and although he seemed a bit taken back, he answered that "Stanley Clarke is a great player, he can say what he wants about me." I believe he meant every word of what he said.

I think Sheehan is super humble partly because he is totally self-taught to the point that he really does not talk about music in terms of notes and chords. That said, very few formally educated or literate bassists have impacted music the way Sheehan has.

osv, Wookieeboy, pjbassist and 4 others like this.
  5. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Billy is a great guy, and a genuinely nice human being. Billy was a regular and did a few clinics for us back in the day.

I'd be interested to find out about who was behind his marketing decades ago - if this was just Billy being incredibly savvy, or if he was working with someone. Think about it - he was from a band in Buffalo which did not have a national presence, and he had never been on a hit record, yet he was a household name in the bass community by the mid 80's.

Now THAT'S an incredible story.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    tfer and blue4 like this.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think getting a profile in Guitar Player years ago when Mike Varney used to highlight up and coming Metal talent was key.

Rickter and nixdad like this.
  7. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Aha! I have no doubts that timing was perfect as well, as this is the era when all things bass, as well as bass players, finally really started receiving overdue recognition.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  8. What did Stanley say?

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I can't remember exactly, but it pretty much amounted to stating Billy Sheehan was not at his level. I am pretty sure he said it in Musician Magazine during the Eighties. At face value, Clarke did not lie, but it came off as petty when I read it.

In terms of impact on the instrument, they are kindred spirits because heard things in their heads that had not yet been done, and they did it.

nixdad likes this.
  10. Thanks. I'm surprised Stanley would say that. I admire both of them.

nixdad likes this.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Who knows he how he actually said it? I just know it didn't look nice when I read it.

nixdad and todd burns like this.
  12. I think I recall what Stanley said back then about Billy (late 80s I think) - and can see how some might have misinterpretted it.

It was something to the effect that he really dug how Bily was so in your face/proud to be a bass player, even though he played a style of music Stanley may not have been into.

And I doubt Stabley has any low opinion of Billy, based on inviting him with some other world-class bassists to this celbration - see Stanley's reaction to Billy startin garound te 7:50 mark:

J

todd burns, nixdad and Dr. Cheese like this.
  13. Philly Watts

Philly Watts

May 6, 2016
    I love everything about this, thank you!! Not the number one Billy fan, tone wise, but he has the right idea always!!

He has the greatest tone ever for Billy Sheehan and that's what is so cool about him!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    nixdad likes this.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I had not heard that clip in a while. It is interesting that Billy Sheehan used such a clean tone.

15. I've heard him a couple times use a cleaner tone and I loved it - his heavy overdrive and distorted tone doesn't work for me at all - but it obviously does for him! :) I DO like his tone in this session:

nixdad, Wookieeboy and Dr. Cheese like this.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have listen to the whole thing, and Billy is just a pro in approach to the session.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    nixdad and Jamie_Funk like this.