1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

that motown sound...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonconformist, Mar 2, 2008.

1. I really want a simple, solid and reliable bass for my gigs, that can capture the 60s-70s vintage sound, but also play some modern stuff (incubus, etc.).

I'd rather not have the super thin, tiny neck that is on my ibanez. Something a tad thicker and wider would be great.

what bass am I looking for?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    You want a precision.

3. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    You want a precision.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, hmm, tough one. You say you want a 60's, 70's, Motown sound, with a thicker neck? Golly, I don't know... Let me think....

;)

5. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    precision with flats guys.. with flats.. :)

6. Haha. Straight up P-bass my friend

7. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Actually, I'd say a P/J.

Incubus = Jazz Bass... unless you're talking about their old bassist, in which case there's no way you're getting both of those tones (Warwick + P Bass) out of the same bass, unless you go the Variax route.

8. All right, I'll agree with Dave. P/J would be more versatile than a stright P.

9. P or a PJ it is then.

I'll keep my eyes open for something nice used.

10. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    P!

11. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Get a Fender P put some flats on it eat some fried chicken don't wash your hands and start playing it, after a few weeks of this you will have the sound you want. You eat the chicken to get the grease on your hands, pluse it taste good. If that doen't work get a old Gibson EBO it has the felt dampner at the bridge that will give you the sound also

12. MY mexi P gives that vibe with rounds, then turn the treble "on" and you can do Incubus.

Mexi P, BUT it might need some "breathing" on. Mine needed fret filing on the edges and a good grounding. Two hours of work + $250 aint bad.

13. I just picked up a used Squier precision with P/J pickups on ebay for $130 shipped. Says it is like new and never played. Guess I will have to see what it's like when it gets here.

Steve

14. yes you want a bass with a P
    with perhaps a J
    with flats
    also your amp and cab matter as much

15. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I can't believe no one has mentioned it.
    Get a p-bass

16. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I was in GC about a month ago and they had a Squier like that with P/J pups. It was used, but like new, for $129.00. I messed with it for about 15 minutes and it sounded great. I didn't snag it because I simply don't need another bass right now. But after I got to thinking about how good it was for the price, I went back about 3 days later. Of course it was gone...

17. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Motown bass = James Jamerson. He played small gigs with an Ampeg fliptop, larger gigs with a solid state Kustom tuck 'n roll, so-called "Frankenstein", and recorded direct into the board. P-bass with terrible action - others considered it unplayable, I am told - and LaBella flatwounds. Wikipedia will tell you all you need to know about his equipment.

18. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I see no none here has mentioned a P bass, that' surprising. That or P/J would be a good way to go, and oh yeah...

Flats!

19. I guess it doesn't have to be EXACT motown.

As of now, I'm playing a Peavey T Max into an Aguilar GS212. Completely happy with the rig.

Just need a solid gigging bass, made in USA preferred.

Do you think this Landing custom could make the grade:

[​IMG]

http://ctbass.birdsong.googlepages.com/landing