1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

That New feeling never goes away

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vanceman, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    Last weekend, I got to play a 1968 Fender J. :hyper: Although not a holy grail instrument, it is the first vintage bass I've ever played. It felt great and sounded great. It had all the right worn spots, yellowed paint, cool vibe.

It got me thinking. My 2001 Am Deluxe J, bought new, barely shows any wear. It's been played hundreds of times, hundreds of hours, maybe more, and granted, I don't bang it into things, I almost always wipe it down, and it's only been dropped once, but it still looks brand new. Even little dents on the back from my belt buckle failed to chip the finish.

I don't think it will ever look relic'ed, nor should I try to make that happen, but it would be sooooo much nicer if it had that broken in feeling and look. I feel like I'm missing something.

Thoughts?

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Give it 30 more years!

3. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    It's got a poly finish. It won't ever look like a worn nitro.

4. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Just a matter of personal preference.
    I don't like my basses to look like they've been stored for 10 years in a war zone, nor would I pay more for one artificially worn, but that's just me.

Poly finishes are difficult to relic and have it look natural.
    You could sand it down and give it an oil finish, or a thin coat of nitro.

5. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    I wish it had a classic sunburst finish instead of the transparent crimson. Would I be considered foolish if I spent $300 on a paint job? My wife would think so....

6. bluesm

bluesm Inactive

Oct 18, 2010
    Rough it up a little........Dremels and precision sanders can do wonders.

7. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    you have to realize you have a millimeter or 2 of solid plastic on your bass. It will never wear smoothly like nitro. Look at late 70s basses. Give you an idea of how yours will age. It will chip and scratch. Thats it.

8. Don't rough it up, poly just doesn't wear that way. If you simply must have that RW look, get it refinished in nitro. I promise you, forcing wear will look obvious and tacky.

9. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    Or sell it and buy a highway 1