Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

That Old Skool Meters Sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by shreave, Sep 25, 2002.

1. shreave

shreave

Jul 12, 2000
    Seattle. WA USA
    Hey there...
    I just bought a Standard Jazz Bass after years of playing fretless. My reason for doing this is I play in a Meters cover band ( http://www.honkymeters.com ) and wanted more of an authentic sound. I'd like to keep playing roundwounds for the obvious reasons and want my low-mids to really stand out with occasional high-mids for attack.

I would like any suggestion people have for string brand that will help me make my instrument sound as 1972 n'orleans jazz/funk as possible.

Cheers,
    Steve

2. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    That sound is really the result of high action and flats. You can try the high action part of it with rounds but in my experience, I have NOT been able to get that sound and a more modern roundwound sound (that's good for slapping, say) out of one bass to my satisfaction. My solution has been to string one bass with flats and another with rounds.

BTW, I don't bring both basses to gigs....just the one I think will fit the gig better.