1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

That one effect that you thought wasn't all that useful

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JackANSI, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    ..then you get one and can't stop playing with it.

Tremolo was that for me.

I got a Vertigo Tremolo from Source Audio on a whim and after 20-30 minutes playing around with it and my Infinity I'm pretty sure that there will always be one on my pedal boards.

Of course that leads to the next level of this... What else haven't I tried that I'd find useful. So I put it to you. What effect have you thought little about but was just blown away when you actually tried it?

blindrabbit likes this.
  2. Bit crushers for me, never understood the appeal until I discovered it on the B3, now it is used quite a bit.

3. Ethan117

Ethan117 My instrument makes people jiggle. Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2014
    It might not qualify as a type of effect, but I never saw the point in stacking different overdrive pedals until about three weeks ago.........oh man was I missing out.

millahh, northbynorth and blindrabbit like this.
  4. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Octave pedal...just couldn't see much use for it, but now I'm lovin' my T-16!

blindrabbit likes this.
  5. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Distortion

6. blizward

blizward

Feb 21, 2013
    Rennes - France
    Compressor anybody?

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  7. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I thought that would be super useful, but it turned out to be the opposite. Fortunately I was able to return the comp and get a preamp with a built in compressor! :D

8. blizward

blizward

Feb 21, 2013
    Rennes - France
    Let me be picky for picking's sake and ask you why you ditched a comp because it wasn't super useful only to get a preamp with a comp built in. :cautious:
    (I'm going to watch sideways like this smiley until I find an answer)

monsterthompson likes this.
  9. I buy most of my pedals not knowing exactly how I'll use them. That's what I love about effects, trying to figure them out and how to use more out there stuff(which is what I prefer)in a musical way. I love messing with unconventional stuff like the Malekko Charlie Foxtrot or Recovery Cutting Room Floor and figuring out what I can do with them.

10. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Tremolo here too, with the Subdecay Noise Box a close second.

11. My clean tone.

12. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Guitar pedals. I always want them to work for bass, they never do. Also, never had a use for an octaver.

13. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeBny4FDXzV1xDEkksZcvoPBYPx6a-bwq1GEQCkudjTTpENIEA.

14. Delay.
    Had one, sold it. Had another, sold it. Couldn't find out what to do with it. Now many years later, i got two on my board and can't leave them alone lol

blindrabbit likes this.
  15. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Have yet to find a real world use for a flanger or phaser.

16. Tremolo. Bought a EQD Hummingbird on a whim, thinking I would flip it quickly. Wow, what a pedal. Absolutely beautiful crisp trem, that when set subtly, adds sheen and movement in ambient passages.

Nunovsky and blindrabbit like this.
  17. RoeyHaviv

RoeyHaviv

Apr 1, 2011
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier guitars, Pigtronix Effects
    I actually thought the Phaser side on my EP2 will be useless (Bought it for side chained envelope) but the phaser comes in handy a lot, from the a "Underwater" style funk to Tool grind, to modern Muse type synth-ish tones.

18. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Ring modulator for me, did not get that at all at first, but added in small amounts or in a tamer and more in tune version like the Subdecay Vitruvian Mod it can add something quite interesting to a synth type tone.

19. AndreasR

AndreasR

Oct 23, 2012
    As I said in the B3 patch idea thread I have no idea what the practical use of the Bomber is.

Edit: not dissing it per se, just wondering if anyone here can tell me something about it.

20. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Had to look it up on YouTube ... I think that effect is probably ideal for annoying your band mates at rehearsals.

Veldar and CHILDISHGAMBINO like this.