1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

That one effect you like it then you don't

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Have you ever had that one effect you had mix emotion about, you want to keep it on your board then you don't. Well I pick one the other day as most knows, I pick up that TC Electronic Skysurfer. And i didn't think I liked it. i was messing around with it yesterday a few hours, I found I love it when I play some classical music and some modern jazz, and I just loved it. It after tweaking a smooth reverb and not overbearing . I also don't get that 60 cycle hum some talk about. And I got it so cheap and its mint condition. But as right now I think it will stay on the board. Have you got a pedal like that you just keep cause it pleases you in some situation , you partly want to get rid of it but just can't. maxresdefault.

2. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I've always been the type of player not to look for reasons to justify pedals. As soon as I feel like a pedal doesn't suit my needs anymore it comes off the board. At that point if it stays off the board for a month and I don't go digging for it it'll end up for sale.

wmmj, SunOfNothing and Frodolicious like this.
  3. Flangers in general. I've the ADA one at the moment and it's excellent and as tweakable as I'd ever need. I just can't decide if I like flangers or not.

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  4. I’m with you... I WANT to like flangers but can never find a use for them.

5. I never cared about Flangers but I can't decide if I like chorus are not.

6. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    Flangers too.

I started out hating them, then found it actually sounded good on bass if not overdone, then again I lost interest for them and now am more interested in what chorus and phaser can do for me.

7. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    The deep swooshing flanger might be fun on it's own but I don't have a use for it outside of a novelty. But a mild flanger in the mix sounds great. Just listen to early Simple Minds. Derek Forbes used lots of it.

8. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I love flangers! Prefer them over chorus. But I noticed that since I got he HXFX, I use chorus more than flanger. It just works better for the band I'm in now.

This def isn't universal because I LOVE Rat pedals. They are some of the best dirt boxes for bass IMO. But, in my current band, a Rat does not fit their sound at this time. So I have a Rat Tail on my board that I love but am not using all that much.

Another one has always been synth pedals in general. They are so cool and sound so neat but I have never been able to really use them in a band yet. The OC2 and or the Meatbox too. Those are pedals I've kept on board for years and have very rarely used. But the very rare occasions I did use them it was awesome and they could't be duplicated with anything else.

9. I have a modulation crisis on my hands at present.

I have a SubnUp which I bought to replace an EBS OctaBass mk1. I use it for a few phrases in a couple of songs. I just can't get it to sit in the mix; it's either too boomy/low or too thin. Is it worth having for this headache..

Similarly I had a cheap Joyo Tremelo I bought for testing something and it's been a mainstay for ambient intros and between song noise when paired with the Muff. A buddy did me a deal on a MojoHand Recoil which is a sweet delay. I don't feel like I need a trim now as the delay is more versatile for making noise. But then I also feel where I'm using the delay in a song, your TC reverb pedal would probably deliver what I need. Urgh.

Last but not least, the Muff has been a PITA for a year now. Thankfully the SA Aftershock looks like it'll fix that and my dirt needs shall be met! One less headache.

I also love flangers. I want one, but really can't justify the cost when there's no place for it in either band. The guitar player in one band told me to 'get out of the 80's' recently when I said he should get one for an instrumental section and satisfy my needs for that glorious pulsing sound. :unsure:

10. Out of all my pedals basically I use my Boss DD-3 and my Keeley Bassist all the time.

11. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I went through a phase where I didn’t care for chorus but loving my Waza CE-2 right now.

I too have had a tough time making a flanger work for me. I’d love to try that ADA though.

12. I wished I still had my Electric Mistress it was cool.

13. Wah, sounds great from Butler, but from me :bored:
    I can almost like it one day & then the next I'm so over it.