That one MTD 535 ended up here....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkycarnivore, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Remember that redwood top one from the NAMM Show? Somehow, it became mine.

Photo album link

This is my favourite MTD of the three I've owned (ash/burl maple with maple neck 535, tulipwood with wenge neck 635)--light in weight, great neck (seems thinner than my previous 535 neck), incredible tone. This bass is just so much fun to play!
  2. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Wow.. needless to say.. I am jealous. beautiful bass Funky.. I think i'm getting some gas... must be that baked potato I had for diner...
  3. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Very Nice!!!

Is the body ash or alder?

Just curious on your perceptions, what kind of tonality do you think the redwood imparts into the overall tone of the bass?

I forget, is redwood less or more dense/hard than the maple and ash tops?
  4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    So smooth...!

Looks like a ripper, have fun with her!!
  5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    So many people with thier pretty new basses lately. Makes me feel a little ashamed to get ready to buy and all black one. :(
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Man, that is absolutely beautiful. I wonder if I'll ever have a bass that pretty.

brad cook
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Redwood is softer.

brad cook
  8. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    The body is Avadoire.BTW: Mike Tobias is very proud of that bass...hold onto it!
  9. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    FC, make sure you intonate that thing using the Buzz Feiten tuning system. The bass intonates entirely differently from regular intonation procedures.

The Korg DT-7 has the right offsets built into the chip on the tuner. It is about 80 bucks at MF.
  10. Thanks, Peter. I think this one has found a happy home for now. I had the DT-7 before but I sold it on eBay! Time to find another.
  11. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Congrats! That's an exceptional bass. Is the Fodera still your favorite? Your part of the Reason I decided to get a Fodera. Since you've been though so many basses and seemed to like it the best.
  12. Yes, the Fodera is still my fave. I really like the two basses that I just got though, so I guess I'll just keep them all for now.
  13. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I sincerely doubt that he will--ultimately. But he will have been able to ogle this bass in person while we only get the 3 megapixel version.:)
  14. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    " I guess I'll just keep them all for now."

Famous last words - especially from Funky!
  15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Wow. That is a very beautiful bass. I gotta take a trip to Rudy's & try a few more MTD's & other stuff. Congrats!!!
  16. Dan Lenard

Dan Lenard Banned

Mar 8, 2002
    Gorgeous !!

I put this bass on our " Bass Gallery " section some time ago, along with a Redwood topped Rob Allen Baritione guitar.

17. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Grats Funky, thats a real beauty.

I want to get my hands on an MTD 535, but there aren't any nearby. I put my name down so the guys up at BassNW give me a call so I can go up and play it :)

Got any sound clips? :D
  18. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    wow funky..... that top should be illegal!

way cool, man.... way cool!

19. She is drop dead gorgeous funkycarnivore!
    Clean `n classy for sure! :)

Is that model a custom job or just one of the upper echelon MTDs?

Congrats on the new addition!
  20. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    This MTD is a real looker. Congrats !