That Scoundrel. MS Rock and Roll.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Adam Barkley, May 22, 2012.

1. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    That Scoundrel is the band I play bass/sing for. We just finished our first record and uploaded two tracks to our facebook. People have said DinoJr., Deep Purple, and Paranoid era Black Sabbath are what we sound like. You tell me. The goal of the recording was to capture our live sound and I think we hit that nail on the head.

About the record, music was done live with no click. Both songs we posted only have vocal overdubs. No instrument overdubs whatsoever. I sing everything on 10:00PM and the choruses and the bridge of Draw the Line.

Drums were recorded with a kick drum mic and an overhead. Its a Gretsch Catalina I think with an 18" kick.

Bass is two signals: my normal distorted tone (SVT+Ampeg410HLF + Trex Bass Juice) that I rarely turn off and a DI. The wah I use in 10:00PM is a Weeping Demon in the guitar setting with the Q 75% and the lows cranked. I played a stock Squier Jazz with new steels on it the guitar player gave me on both tracks.

Guitar is two signals: Old Yamaha solid body through a Peavey Classic 50 410 and a Peavey Windsor set clean pushing an Acoustic 810.

I'd love any comments and any criticism, positive or negative.

https://www.facebook.com/ThatScoundrel/app_2405167945

Thanks,
    Adam

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

For those who might not have a facebook, I threw together the same tracks on a soundcloud.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'll take all this silence after a 100 views to being stunned by it. Ha.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Do I need to post a bad version of myself playing a cover tune? Those get tons of responses.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Feedback? Anyone? Please? Don't make a grown man beg.

6. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    For a moment there I was in a New Orleans dive bar calling other men "hooker."

I think recording sans click suits the hell out of your sound. Brings out that natural swagger you presumable drunkards have.

This might sound nuts to you, but I hear honky tonk piano all over your stuff (particularly on 10:00pm), especially to compliment your bass breaks.

To my ears, the guitar is way to understated on Draw the Line. I'd push that buzzsaw way up central in the mix for that one. Also you seem to be occupying the same frequency space here, which takes away from both your parts.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Thanks man. We definitely try to be "perfectly loose" if that makes sense.

I like Draw the Line's sound and that is the final mix, but I appreciate the input. We often will play riffs like that and I think it sounds almost like an distorted organ when we nail it.

8. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    It doesn't, it just sounds neutered. The track doesn't kick like it totally should. If I was your producer I would spank you with the lightning rod of "Stop being such a bassist" :D

Show off more when you roll 'em out.

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I wrote all the music. These two are fairly tame. I get my rocks off on several tracks.

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

All are either fairly note-y or have busy breaks.

11. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I remember Errata. Ephel Duath inspired. I'd go see that.

I think your headphones might be the issue. All the riffs sound pretty big on a stereo and in a car.

13. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    You'd be the only one. I am so doomed to obscurity it is actually quite funny.

My Rokit 5's are flaaaat, bro, so this is what you actually sound like. Not sure what you mixed on, but remember not everyone will have sweet "compensatory" speaker setups.

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I had no hand in the mixing other than input. The producer did it at his house.

15. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Always be present. Naked too, if possible.

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Domino

A local record store/studio has been producing videos to showcase local bands and what he can do with his studio. It's one take, all or nothing. This was ours.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021