Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

That sound all basses have

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Ya know that snap just about all (with the exception of jazz players) basses have? I can get it on mine, but I have to raise the trebble settings on my amp and bass all the way up, otherwise I can't get that sound. Does everyone else raise their trebble? Does the sound come with better bases?

2. Maybe it's cause you are pressing the strings down into the body too much. Try to pluck them sideways along the body.

3. I get a nice snap when one of my strings break.

4. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    i think that makes more of a BOING and then a FRAAAP sound.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Are your strings way above your pickups?

The fact that you're maxing the controls seems to indicate you're not getting enough output to get a strong signal to your amp.

6. Thanks for the advice.

My pickups are rather low; but I tried raising them only to get muddy sounds. I may have been slightly unclear mixing up Bass (the ax) and Bass (the tonal frequencys). Just to make it clear, the trebble is what gives me that sound.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, it could just be the wood/woods used for your bass. I don't know what Washburn usually uses.

8. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but i'f you're looking for a more "punchy" sound, without turning up your treble, try usin moderate EQ settings but pluck much closer to the bridge, or if your bass has a bridge position pickup, try turning that up, other pickups down and keeping regular EQ settings.

Hope this helped. :)

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    New strings? Just a tought.
    And it's hard to get that typical 'active' sound out of a passive bass.

10. Its not just actives; I've heard the sound many times on passives. I'm just not sure why the trebble has to go so high.

The strings are fairly new; the bridge playing helps a little.

11. I turn the trebles up and the bass down to get that real loose twang sound outta my bass. Find turning the Mids al lthe way up makes a good sound if the trebles are kept at half and the bass three quarters.

Merls