1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

That Spector Sound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lumdingo, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Lumdingo

Lumdingo

Dec 8, 2012
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Hire me to design your band's Merch.
    I have played a few Spector basses recently and I've noticed they have a very particular sound that I LOVE. However, I can't afford a $1200 bass, so I'm wondering if I can achieve that same sound by installing EMG pickups and a Tonepump Jr. in my Peavey Millennium BXP.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Short answer...no. EMG's really don't have much to do with it, it's more the woods, construction, and pickup placement.

8_finger and Lumdingo like this.
  3. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I second what mmbongo said.
    Spector does have a full range of instruments for any budget. Used they are even more affordable if you are patient e.g. I got both of my Czech Spectors for under $500 each.

4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I disagree about the wood species being that major a factor. But the overall construction and pickup placements certainly do have a lot to do with it. So I'll second the others who said that simply swapping pickups and adding a preamp won't necessarily duplicate the sound you're after.

StayLow likes this.
  5. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have 4 Spector's; one Euro and three Korean Legends. I too love the Spector sound. A used Legend can be found for around $300 or so. There are a couple on guitar centers website for $299. These are great basses, I played one live for many years. Avoid the Performers, they are a different animal altogether.

Lumdingo likes this.
  6. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    @40Hz The wood certainly contributes but I don't go crazy on how much. The relative vibrations of the wood must be summed into the relative vibrations of the strings in the magnetic field of the pickups. It is slight, but there.

Lumdingo and 40Hz like this.
  7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Agree. I was just saying it's not the species of wood. Individual pieces of wood will result in differences in sound for the reason you've noted. But since no two pieces of wood are identical, what makes for a good "hunk of wood" for a musical instrument won't ever be something you can predict or completely plan for. A lot of it is still playing the odds plus luck of the draw (out of the parts bin) when it comes down to which body blank got used for which bass.

One more reason why you want to try before you buy.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    Lumdingo and FourBanger like this.
  8. Lumdingo

Lumdingo

Dec 8, 2012
    Unfortunately the Spector Legend 4 Classic that's at my local shop, is $1050 CAD plus taxes. This particular bass sounds amazing through an amp (very tight and articulate), but at that price I just can't afford it. Hopefully if I can get one for $300 US it will sound exactly the same as this one.

9. Lumdingo

Lumdingo

Dec 8, 2012
    In the meantime hopefully somebody here can donate their old Tonepump Jr, so I can build a custom bass using that amazing sounding preamp.