Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

That Spector Sound...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by feckn_eejit, Jun 29, 2002.

1. You know what I'm talking about, that resonatey-overtoney sort of sound that seems to be in the upper midrange. I absoutely love it! It's overtaking the lower-midrange growl of a Wal as my favourite bass tone.

My favourite example lately of a fantastic sounding Spector is Graham Maby's '88 5-string on Joe Jackson's 1991 album _Laughter and Lust_.

Around what specific frequencies does this sound occour? What causes it? Is it the neck-through construction? All the maple? Is it the EMG pickups or whatever electronics they're using in there (also EMG?)? Is it none of these things specifically, but a combination of some/all of them that is required to get the sound?

I find EMG pickups can sound too sterile, how would Bartolinis soudn in a Spector? Would you still get that phenomenal midrange and articulation, only get some more warmth?

Finally, what sort of fingerboard wood do they use?

Thanks very much for any insight into my questions!

--jeff

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    as always is a matter of different factors. Spectr are massice neck thru basses. the wood is hard and heavy. they use active EMG with 2 band EQ. you know it better than me. this is the secret.

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    fretboard:

czech-rosewood

us-pao ferro

don't know how barts would sound in there. i kinda tire of the emg tone every once in a while, but i'm stickin' with 'em. it would probably change the character of the bass entirely, and i don't want to do anything drastic (besides, i regain my appreciation of the tone shortly).

i'm also a wal-tone slut! yikes, that's my definite fav.!

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i also love the spector tone.
    i know i am selling mine. but only because i have to right now. and when i get enough money i want to buy a chzech spector or a us.
    mine has that same great spector tone.
    at first i didn't like it. but after i played it for alwhile.
    then i put it on a strap. WOW!!! i was hooked!
    it feels great everywhere!!!
    now i really don't want to sell it!
    please someone buy it quick before i change my mind!! i need money for my car and this isn't helping!
    damn you!!!!:D
    steve