1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

That "Stingray" tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstrader, Sep 8, 2003.

1. I find myself suddenly G.A.S.ing for that meaty 'ray tone. Not many basses really stood out to me tone-wise when I was in high school (heh heh - a long time ago) but when I used to watch The Tonight Show (a long time ago - Carson was hosting) the band played the theme song every night and the 2-3 second shot of the bass player doing his thing on his 'ray always made me say 'hmmm, that sounds really good'. So then a few years later I started listening to Aerosmith an Tom Hamilton played a 'ray and I said 'hmmm, that sounds really good'.

So now it's about 150 years later and I go to church one night and the bass player is rockin out with a FIVE STRING STINGRAY! Played through an Ampeg.

And I said 'Hmmm, that sounds really good.'

So anyone with a 5 string 'ray for sale?

Stay Low,

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I don't like your chances. Everyone that owns one will have trouble bringing themselves to part with it. I hunted for years before eventually giving up any lashing out for a new one. Cost me a fortune, but worth every cent.

For a cheaper alternative, you really should consider the S.U.B.

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    It's worth every penny. I placed the order for mine in December last year and got it in i think March of this year. It was worth the wait as this bass is amazing. [ray5] I am in high school and plan to keep this bass for a long time [i'm a pack rat]. That's all

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've got several Stingray 5's, and I've gotten ALL of them off of Ebay - it seems there's always at least one for sale there, and they go for around $750-$800 in excellent/like new condition.

Great basses. IMO my Modulus and pre-Gibson Tobias basses sounded better playing alone, but NOTHING sounds as good as a Stingray in the mix with the band. NOTHING.