That "Stingray" tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstrader, Sep 8, 2003.

1. I find myself suddenly for that meaty 'ray tone. Not many basses really stood out to me tone-wise when I was in high school (heh heh - a long time ago) but when I used to watch The Tonight Show (a long time ago - Carson was hosting) the band played the theme song every night and the 2-3 second shot of the bass player doing his thing on his 'ray always made me say 'hmmm, that sounds really good'. So then a few years later I started listening to Aerosmith an Tom Hamilton played a 'ray and I said 'hmmm, that sounds really good'.

So now it's about 150 years later and I go to church one night and the bass player is rockin out with a FIVE STRING STINGRAY! Played through an Ampeg.

And I said 'Hmmm, that sounds really good.'

So anyone with a 5 string 'ray for sale?

Stay Low,
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I don't like your chances. Everyone that owns one will have trouble bringing themselves to part with it. I hunted for years before eventually giving up any lashing out for a new one. Cost me a fortune, but worth every cent.

For a cheaper alternative, you really should consider the S.U.B.
  3. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    It's worth every penny. I placed the order for mine in December last year and got it in i think March of this year. It was worth the wait as this bass is amazing. [ray5] I am in high school and plan to keep this bass for a long time [i'm a pack rat]. That's all
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've got several Stingray 5's, and I've gotten ALL of them off of Ebay - it seems there's always at least one for sale there, and they go for around $750-$800 in excellent/like new condition.

Great basses. IMO my Modulus and pre-Gibson Tobias basses sounded better playing alone, but NOTHING sounds as good as a Stingray in the mix with the band. NOTHING.