That there michael Manring feller.

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Rakshasa, Oct 13, 2003.

1. anybody heard of Michael Manring? he's like, this guy, who studied with jaco, and he covered purple haze, the bass, guitar, and vocal notes, at the same time, live. let's all give him our house.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - and all us English TB'ers went to see both of them play at an event held by the Bass Centre in London!! :)
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    and i'm gonna see him in a couple weeks :D
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    (rumour has it the guy is really an alien :eek: how else could he play the way he does) j/k

Hey Mike and Steve, I'm sending this your way.
  6. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    I’m not from another planet, just California. Although I have to admit there’s not much difference!
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :D Well either way your playing is out of this world Michael!

Thanks for the tunes! (and inspirations)
  8. Jato

Nov 2, 2000
    Keep up the good work! Man, you are on a very high level with your skill and musicianship, and I applaud you!
    Three things:
    1)When is 'Thonk part II' gonna come out?
    2)When you played 'Sugar' on that headless Zon of yours...your tone is the best live bass I've heard.
    3)Are you ever gonna come to Chicago or environs anytime soon?

All the best, man...
    (A huge MM fan...)
  9. Hey Mike,

I finally saw Cliff Engeel play your arr of Purple Haze. Holy Jesus it looks death-defying!!! Do you personally reckon that Purple Haze is your best tune with the tapping?

Boy, that Cliff Engel is something though. Does it feel kind of funny when you see/hear people playing your recorded pieces?
  10. Hey Jato,

"When you played 'Sugar' on that headless Zon of yours...your tone is the best live bass I've heard."

I 'think' it's because that the instrument he plays on is a tenor bass gt.
  11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Jato...Michael played the Elbow Room in Chicago last month... Great (I mean AMAZING) show with stick player (extrodinare) Greg Howard.

Michael, it was a shame that the Elbow Room stuck you in the corner afterward when the other bands started blasting away. I couldn't really tell you that I sincerely enjoyed the show.

Everyone, what's more amazing to me than Michael's incredible dexterity is his ability to conceive such unconventional, yet beautiful music in the first place. I figure that with lots and lots of practice, I could physically play like that (not well, mind you, but could make a valiant attempt) but I can't see myself ever creating anything like I hear on Michaels CD's or at his clinics and shows. Totally mind blowing...
  12. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks so much for all the very kind comments, folks! Steve, to answer your questions: I’ve always sort of thought of the two Attention Deficit recordings as being pretty close to “Thonk, part II.” It’s a lot of fun playing with Alex and Tim. Thank you so much for your compliment about tone. The bass I used for “Sugar” is not a tenor, as Guitarrista surmised, but actually a regular fretted in standard tuning. I like to use standard tuning for pieces like “Sugar” which are largely jazz improv based. The bass I used is a headless that Joe Zon made and we’ve received so many nice comments on it that he has recently put them into production. I played one of the new production models in Oregon the other day and it’s incredible! As Billy mentioned, I was in Chicago last month, but I hope to be back in the area soon. Please consider signing up for my e-mail list at so you can get advance notice.

Guitarrista, I really liked the way Cliff played my version of “Purple Haze” and I felt very flattered that a bassist of his skill would take the trouble to learn something of mine. I haven’t given much thought to what the “best” tapping I’ve ever done might be, however “My Three Moons” certainly involved some tricky tapping challenges!
  13. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm sure that "my three moons" involved challenges in more areas than tapping ;) i would really dig seeing that played live. that would be pretty awesome.
  14. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I'm from California and I can't do anything like that! ;)
  15. Hi Neptoon,

Mike plays "My 3 Moons" live on the Bass Day '98 video/dvd along with "Sugar" and "Teen Town".... Great stuff! I wish that there were more Bass Day videos aside from '97 and '98.

The only other Manring live concert video I know of is his "Artist Profile" (?????). I haven't seen it though, I'm not sure if it's available in my country.
  16. Hi Mike,

Speaking of tapping.....
    Have you heard any of Chuck Bianchi's tapping work? When I listen to him tap, it seems like he is able to thump the strings so hard that it nearly peaks. How does he get so much power?, because I've never heard anyone tap that "hard" before. Do you think that it's because he has a low action combined with slackened strings from his altered tunings? It's either that or he has really strong forearms!

Thanks for the info on "Sugar". I didn't know beforehand that it was just a normal bass rather than a tenor. Looks like it's all in the hands.
  17. milkdudbass

Oct 28, 2003
    Atlanta, GA

When are you going come back to Atlanta, GA? I know the South is creepy and all, but it's just not fair. :bawl: You haven't been here in two years. Do we smell funny?

18. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    Sorry it’s been a while since I was in Atlanta Milkdud, but I assure you I’m not avoiding it on purpose. I’ve been trying to arrange a trip that way and I’ll be there as soon as I can work it out. Since I grew up in Virginia myself, I have to take exception to the notion that the South is creepy!

I have heard Chuck Bianchi’s playing, Guitarrista and I like it a lot. I don’t know about his tapping technique, but he’s a friendly guy and I’m sure he’d be happy to answer your questions himself. I’ll bet a web search would turn up a contact e-mail address.
  19. Thanks Mike, I'll try looking him up. I guess it's probably because of his low tunings. He plays 5 strings with an extra lower string rather than a high C string. He tunes the 5th string as low as an A, which is an 8ve below the A (3rd) string in standard tuning.
  20. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    This is way off topic, but I don't BBS much and I hadn't noticed MM's name on this forum before.
    Hey Mike, blast from the past here, if you remember. This is Steve Winston, formerly of The National Guitar Workshop (Student 90-91, faculty 93-96). Your seminars there were amongst the best I've ever been at. I still use every every stretch and relaxation technique you taught me (@#$$%$#@! permutations #$$#*!@#$!!!), and every week I pass them on to my current students :bawl: . This is a long overdue THANK YOU for changing everything I thought about being a bass player/musician. My attitude, touch and joy in music all grew immeasurably from those few weeks in New Milford. Thanks Michael!
    I was wondering if you could pass a "hello" on to the big Skoll-tone from me? Tell him I'm the dude he drank warm beer and played Cro-Mags tunes with until dawn the first year he taught with us. That was the freakiest year of all, it was like a Krishna-punk Summer for me. My roommate for part of that Summer was this Krishna Chapman Stick player, who had just gotten off his job as (I'm not making this up) the Cro-Mags BUS DRIVER! Even though Alex was bummed he had already left, I was very happy his smell went with him. Now before you all pile on and make fun of this seeming Krishna-core fetish the Cro-mags were just a guilty pleasure from my distant past for which Alex had the same guilt. This is what I actually do since I left the staff at NGSW:

I hope this finds you well, and continuing to spread the gospel of the big bottom. [​IMG]