That Thing You Do (the movie)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Sep 28, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I just watched That Thing You Do. It's a great movie...while I was watching the movie, I was listening to the recording. It sounds like they recorded with the actual instruments. If you have watched this movie tell me what you think.
  2. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    if they did record witht eh actual instruments used, that Dano DC bass sounds really good. as does the reissue Fenders of course
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Most here should know how I feel about this movie.
    ;) say "It sounds like they recorded with the actual instruments".
    Who are "they"? "They" being the film's actors? Then, no...the actors were coached/taught where to put their hands, etc for the camera. Same goes for the actors in The Doors' movie; the bonus disc shows them being taught their parts. I've always thought whoever "plays" the drums gets the tougher assignment.

If "they" are the studio musicians who played the music on the film's soundtrack...I suppose "they" used period instruments. I guess.

1)On the DVD, skip forward to the scene where the band gets the new bassist.
    2)Select "Close Captioning".
    3)After Wolman sez, "I think I can, junior"...& begins showing off-
    The close caption sez "Playing killer bass licks".

Does anyone know the original "bass player's" name? The end credits call him T.B. Player.
  4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN

That killer

*sorry* how lame is that?
  5. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I meant the studio musicians, sorry.
  6. Power-pop singer/guitarist Mike Viola was born and raised in Boston, issuing a self-released solo album before teaming with schoolmate Todd Foulsham in the short-lived 80s band Snap! Viola and Foulsham then relocated to New York City and formed the Candy Butchers; Viola also played with local pop bands including Ivy and They Might Be Giants' John Flansburgh's side project Mono Puff. With Ivy's Adam Schlesinger, he co-wrote and sang the title song to Tom Hanks' 1996 rock-'n'-roll comedy That Thing You Do!; that same year the Candy Butchers signed to Blue Thumb and issued their debut EP Live at La Bonbonniere. The duo's self-titled debut LP went unreleased after Blue Thumb went bankrupt, however, and in 1999 the Candy Butchers finally landed at the Sony affiliate RPM to issue Falling into Place.

Mike Viola and The Candy Butchers

;) Treena
  7. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    All of the instruments that were used in the movie were provided by Fender, if I remember correctly. Most of the items were custom shop repros.
  8. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    so in the early parts of the movie when "the Wonders" were playin the studio musicians actualy used a dano DC bass to record with, and later on in the movie they recorded with fenders, and such
  9. Trivia about That Thing You Do!:
    · The four actors playing The Wonders rehearsed as a band for eight weeks to get the feel of performing - but most of their performances in the film were dubbed by other musicians.
    · In one scene, the bass player is seen riding "The Matterhorn" in Disneyland. The Disney company recommissioned a retired old-style ride car for the movie so it would be historically correct for the time period.
    · The scene where The Wonders play the Hollywood Television Showcase was filmed at the same studio that the daily game show "The Price Is Right" is filmed.
    · The exterior shots for Erie, Pennsylvania, the hometown of the band, were actually filmed in Orange, California.
    · The part of Troy Chesterfield is played by Scolari, Peter, Hanks, Tom' costar in the 80's sitcom "Bosom Buddies".
    · Parallels with The Beatles: - First hit ("Please Please Me" for The Beatles) was a speeded-up version of a slow ballad. - In The Beatles' first appearance on Ed Sullivan's show, a shot of Lennon, John was accompanied by the caption, "Sorry Girls, He's Married". In this film it's Mattingly who's shown with the caption, "Careful Girls, He's Engaged" during their national TV debut.
    · Hanks, Tom was initially opposed to hiring Everett Scott because of Scott's strong resemblance to a younger Hanks; but he was convinced by his wife, Wilson, Rita, who thought Scott was cute.
    · The contest in the beginning of the movie was filmed at Mercyhurst College, in Erie, PA.
    · Just the same as The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan show, Jimmy, the lead singer gets sick as George Harrison did prior to their appearance.
    · Fountains of Wayne is the band who penned the title song in response to a contest being held by the studio. Their song won, thus it was used in the movie and ultimately launched their career.
    · Homeland Security Director (and Erie native) Tom Ridge, then the governor of Pennsylvania, visited the set during production and presented Tom Hanks with a Zippo lighter that was engraved with the film's logo (Hanks collects Zippos, which are manufactured in Pennsylvania.)
    · Tom Hanks named his production company Play-Tone after the fictional record label in the movie.

;) Treena
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thanks for loading my head with more trivia!

What was the original bass player's name in this movie?
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's just The Bass Player

How nutty am I?
    I was trying to read Faye's lips when she introduced "TB Player" to the Chantralene's lead vocalist.
  12. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    you beat me to it!

throughout the whole movie he's just refered to as "The Bass Player" like when he was missing and tom hanks phoned 'guy patterson' and said "you're bass player is missing" everyone else was always addressed by their names; jimmy, lenny, guy, and wolfman

i love that movie

13. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    T.B. Player was played by actor Ethan Embry. Actually a very gifted actor.

Scott "Wolfman" Pell, the hired gun who replaces TBP in the group for the TV show was played by bassist Larry Antonino. You can check him out here .

How's that for adding to your overall trivia knowledge?
  14. KEWL, thanks Craig.;)

The film industry recognized Larry's musical talent in 1997 for the Tom Hank's film, "That Thing You Do!". Larry was awarded a gold record for his contribution to the movie's soundtrack..

:D Treena
  15. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...he's lookin' a bit like The Wolfman.

I was gasping for air at that scene where Pell tells Jimmy, "I think I can, junior".