1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

That Tone!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Madjon1973, Dec 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Madjon1973

Madjon1973

Apr 14, 2017
    I love my bass tone acoustically and plugged into my home stereo system but not through a bass amp

Ive had trace elliots, a tc electronic currently, ashdown even a behringer they all sound good but i cant get that illusive tone.

I would describe the tone as warm and neutral with definition but never sharp or brittle, its almost acoustic

If the stereo amp and speakers would cut it live i'd go on stage with it in a flash

Is this a compression issue? Anyone else feel the same?

I play a mix of music but not metal really (for a long time anyway, 1st 10 years of my 30 years playing, perhaps!)

Any thoughts???

Callused Finger likes this.
  2. WayneP

WayneP Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Corpus Christi, Texas
  3. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Perhaps you need a full-range cabinet.

What cabinets have you used with the amps you have tried?

- John

4. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    I know what you're talking about.. I have no idea why.

Madjon1973 likes this.
  5. Not only that, How are you plugging into your home audio system? And through what other processing?

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i think JKos is onto something with the suggestion of a full range amp/cab. however: powering up to gig levels will change your experience of the 'tone' even if you play through a capable system.

tone chasing is fraught with disappointment, but good luck on your quest! :thumbsup:

if you can't get the tone you love...love the tone you get!

7. Madjon1973

Madjon1973

Apr 14, 2017
    My home studio set up comprises a small pair of denon hifi speakers driven by a sony hifi amp with a feed from the pc, the bass comes into the pc via an alesis usb mixer

Sounds great....but previous solutions with a technics hifi amp, technics speakers and a very basic 4 track mixer sounded just as good

Thanks for the comments so far

The hifi amp is rated at 75 watts

My tc electronic is a combo 15 inch 250w job never really cranked up, had previously 300w amp into 1x 15 and 2 x 10 cab

8. Madjon1973, your bass rig and stereo are two different things, sure they both are designed to reproduce music but in different ways. Your bass rig has a cabinet with a 15" speaker it will only reproduce frequencies up to around 2000 HZ. And it is tuned to have a bump in the upper bass frequencies to cut through the mix on stage. Whereas your stereo speakers have a tweeter and a crossover that can take the response up to 15,000+ HZ. The stereo cabinets are designed to have a flat response, no bumps in the frequency range.

Like what was said earlier a well designed three way (woofer, midrange, and tweeter) cabinet with a properly designed crossover will get that hifi sound. Any of the three way cabinets discussed on TB would be a good choice. But, remember these are hi end cabinets with the price tag to go with them. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to answer your question.

Tedward

9. Madjon1973

Madjon1973

Apr 14, 2017
    No problem at all, must check out some of this kit you mention!

10. If you are a DIY kind of guy check out the Green Boy cabinets. I built two 12/6's and am very happy with them. Plans are free on line.
    I'm not a sales person for Green Boy just a happy customer.

Tedward

11. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    the good news is that if your bass sounds good unplugged, than its capable of sounding good/the same plugged in....you just need to find whats "getting in the way" or introducing too much color, pickups, amp, etc.

12. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    All IMHO,

I was in this place about 40 years ago. I haven't found "that" tone anywhere yet, but I have gotten close. The first rig that got me close had an SVT and the matching 810 with a Fender Twin on top. The rig was biamped at 200 hz and heavily equalized. Having a speaker that can produce tight and even lows is one of the keys. I equalized my fridge to be relatively flat down to 40 hz and this gave me the smooth/liquid lows you get from a studio monitor. The other key is having speakers that have a smooth response that extends above the highest range of the bass. The final key is for the mid and high range speakers to be at ear level. The idea is to place the speakers where you can hear the full range of your instrument and the path of travel is short and direct so you hear more you and less of the reflections bouncing of the floor, walls, and ceiling.

Another rig that got me close was a pair of Eden 410 XLTs stocked vertically and elevated so the center of the top two 10s were slightly above ear level.

In my experience, even playing through a high-end fold back monitor from a company like Apogee or Meyer does not provide the same immediacy as having your mid/hi pack at ear level. I think it may have something to do with the floor reflection, as I have a Gallien Krueger 112/700RB combo that sounds loose and boomy when I place it in the fold back position, but the amp sounds tight and articulate if I get it at least 18 inches of the ground.

As always YMMV

13. Empress Para EQ.