Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

THAT tone....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spector_Ray, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Ok, ok.....I'll probably get ripped for this, but I'm trying to get as close to Doug Pinnick's tone as possible with as little equipment as possible. I looked up his rig and, man oh man. There's a method to his madness but it's very extensive. I know the Sans Amp Bass Driver DI has a "King's X" setting, but how close does it come to replicating it? I know a lot depends on the bass and rig, but I don't want it dead-on, just in the ballpark. I also read Doug uses the Line 6 Guitar pod pro and his tech said that it was so close, it's scary. Anyone able to replicate his sound?

2. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Are you talking about his more recent sound, and not the 12-string sound? A big part of his current sound is the detuning. On Please Come Home Mr. Bulbous things were getting subsonic. Which albums are you thinking of?

3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I noticed they've been recording in drop tunings lately, but the sound I'm wanting is his more recent tone. I do like the earlier 12- string Chapparal sound during the early 80's recording, but I just watched a concert of King's X in 2000 at the House of Blues and under all the overdriven growl, he's got a monsterously deep tone. I've admired King's X for a long time, but I really start listening to Doug whe Dogman came out. I know he uses 2 SVP Pro preamps and 2 SVT-4 Pro power amps for his lows and a Traynor power amp for his highs. I can get decent lows with my 2x10 and 1x15 cabs and Hartke 2000, but I can't seem to dial in the mids and highs with the rattling, twangy, overdriven sound.

4. Here's a picture of dUg's rig.

As you can see, he has a lot of gear....

http://www.12stringbass.net/DougsRig.htm

I think that he bi-amps his signal, with distortion on the high end, and clean, subsonic lows. To get a tone like his, I would think that you would need to carefully balance the EQ and mix between the highs and lows.

The SansAmp may get you in the ballpark, but it wouldn't be exact. Keep in mind, that the player has a lot to do with it as well.

5. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Yeah, adding a separate amp for the high end would probably help, but then you have to tailor the tone of that amp. Maybe a seperate amp for high end with the Sansamp or Pod??? A wall of Ampeg 8X10 cabs wouldn't hurt either...

I think dUg's been using strange low-tunings for a long time - I saw them on the Tapehead tour (or maybe it was Mr. Bulbous?) and he retuned for a tune from Dogman or Ear Candy, except he couldn't remember the tuning! They made two false starts before he got it right!

6. Looking at his rig, notice that he has a speaker simulator. If I remember correctly, he also has a mixer. So, I figure that he might run the distorted highs into the speaker simulator, then into the mixer, where they blended with the lows, with the mixed full-range signal then sent into the SVT amps driving the three 8x10s.

In the pictures, notice the extreme EQ he has for the highs and lows. Definitely not a simple plug-and-play kind of rig!

7. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I read the article with his tech and saw his rig and I knew it would be no easy feat to even attempt to duplicate his sound. We do a couple of King's X songs during the course of a set and I wanted to have as close a replication of his sound as possible. I suppose that during Over My Head and Summerland, I could get away with a simple overdriven sound.

8. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    +1 Definitely unique to say the least. Ever wonder how one comes up with a sound that ends up being a signature sound? I would venture to guess that most of it happens by accident with whatever one can afford at the time.

9. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I would love to get that "Pinnick" sound too. I agree that a lot of his sound is possible because of the extremely low tuning he uses. I think it's fresh roundwound strings detuned and rattling like crazy. The speaker sim and mixer are part of it as well as mentioned above. The only problem I have with his sound is that it can get so low that sometimes it doesn't cut through so much as bash under the mix.
    I have tried the Sansamp, and it wasn't up to the task IMO.
    I have always wanted to get the sound he had on "Pretend" and "Pillow" off of Dogman. I tune to the opening chord of Pillow when I want to approximate a King's X tuning.
    Hey also, have you checked out their recent live double cd?
    I love the sound he is getting on "Johnny."
    One other thing- if you notice on his low end rig he keeps the drive knob on his svp all the way over. The lows ain't exactly clean!

10. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I just thought of something else I want to throw out here. Any of you guys ever seen the Galactic Cowboys live? I saw them open for King's X several years ago, and their bass player got a crazy overdriven tone that was similar to Doug's with a small combo amp. I didn't get to talk with him, but I have always wondered how he managed that?

11. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Yeah, Monty Colvin. I really like his playing and sound a lot on the first Galactic Cowboys album. There's an interview with him at 12stringbass.net (click on interviews, it's about halfway down) where he talks a little about his sound, but doesn't say anything specific about what kind of amp he used.

12. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I don't know if anyone has any sort of file sharing program, but I managed to download a 2000 King's X concert at the House of Blues. The second song played is The Train and during the opening guitar riff, Doug slides his finger across the string for a brief second and what a sound! If you get a chance, see if you can download it. It's worth the hour and a half it took to download. You know someone's bad ass when all they do is touch a string and it sends chills all over you! :hyper: