1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

that wah sound without a wah.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dazminiimp, Jul 23, 2007.

1. hello there, nope not an auto wah as you were thinking :p

basicly, ive just been recording and to gett he right tone for what i wanted i had to use a cry baby wah with a big muff, and i set the wah so the pedal was completely up right to give that agressive raw sound, im trying to find a pedal that will give of that kind of sound with a wah needed pelase help friends!!! :D

xxx

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    an envelope filter maybe?

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Hmm... nothing I can think of, off the top of my head. Are you using the switchless bass wah (the 105Q)? If so, I can understand your grief.

To get that really raw, bright fuzz sound, I leave my Morley Power Wah in a toe-up position... but I can get away with leaving it there because it's not switchless.

Envelope filters tend to sweep, but I'm sure there are a few with lots of controls that'll hold stable settings with minimal sweeping. I'm hardly knowledgeable when it comes to envelope filters, though...

4. ahhh yes thats a great idea!! j7ust rlly the tone i want with having to go up then back down again :p may sound silly but mid gig wud be abit annpoyng rlly especally as im the lead singer thats work enough :p

thanks very much!!

5. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Ok, I can't really understand anything the OP types, but since someone may have this question in the future and find this thread, I suppose I'll try to add some info.

I think you're asking how to get the sound of a wah in toe-up position without a wah pedal since you don't need to rock it. The answer to that is a parametric EQ pedal. A wah pedal is a bandpass filter, and with wahs I've used, toe-up means the center frequency is at its lowest point. Since a parametric EQ pedal will allow you to dial in just such a BP filter and tweak the center freq to taste, it should be what you need.

A graphic EQ pedal won't be the same, but it is possible to shape your fuzz/distortion sound quite extensively with one. GC Green (the bass player of Godflesh and the only bass player I really ever gave a **** about) used a graphic eq and a metal distortion pedal to get a tone that is highly sought-after and really sounds nothing like metal pedal by itself. This surprises me a little as I presume his metal pedal was a Boss Metal Zone, and that pedal has a semi-parametric EQ built-in, but I guess that's my point: Behold the power of EQ.

6. hoerni

hoerni

Jun 4, 2007
    NJ
    You can get that tone with a parametric EQ.

A wah is just a bandpass filter with a given Q and boost amount. Moving the pedal simply changes the center frequency of the filter.

So if you get a parametric EQ, you can set the boost to max, the Q to pretty high (pobably about 75% of full travel will get you started), and then set the center frequency to near the low end for heels down and mid to high for toe down like sound.

For a cheap solution, I'd recommend the Arion parametric. It's only single band, but it's also around $30.

7. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    basic-a-l-l-y.

sorry, had to do it.

8. Are you sure your from england? :p

I think you mean you want the sound of a wah pedal in a fixed position?

If that's right, then there's the Dunlop Q-zone which is a pedal (IIRC) that gives you the ability to set your tone to a certain level of a wah sweep.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

What you want to achieve is called a fix wah.
    Several pedals can do it.
    Off the top of my head : Jacques Trinity, Jim Dunlop Q-Zone, Boss AW-3.
    I use my Korg AX-1B. Yeah I know I say this in pretty much every thread.

10. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    You can tell by the way horni and I say the same thing that he was actually my professor in school. In fact, on the first day of class I played him a Godflesh tune and was like, "how do I get this bass tone?" He told me to try a a wah fixed in the toe-up position or a graphic EQ after my distortion. Education is beautiful.

11. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    The Dunlop Q-Zone or the Keely Nova Wah should work. The Keely costs way more but it has two footswitchable settings, as opposed to the Dunlop's one. Good luck.

12. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    Zombie Thread Bump!

So, how's the experience been with the Q-zone? anyone have any clips of this on Bass?

13. Funny how this topic came up again, eh Boo? And I notice that you seem to need a power wah in addition to your switchless... so you were holding out on me... just to be... difficult!

14. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    LOL. :D

I don't have that Power Wah anymore. Long gone. It was replaced by a Dunlop 105Q, which was replaced by a Morley Dual Bass Wah, which was kept for a while, and then replaced by a bunch of non-wah pedals, which were eventually (and only recently) replaced by a Dunlop 105Q. :D

Like I said, each have their advantages/disadvantages. :p

15. tel me about it - I actually think some of the best sounding wahs are snarling dogs but I won't own one again - can't live with the popping...

16. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Dunlop Q Zone you can even buy the Kerry King one for the "Cool" tattoo design

17. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    really good thinking with the parametric EQ idea. Get a one band, decent, parametric and you're set

18. Can't the new diecast EHX Worm do that too?

19. robnatt

robnatt

Sep 14, 2005
    Keeley Nova Wah.