Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

That Warwick sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigwan, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi guys!

Another wood question for you all...

Is it the wenge used in their construction that gives warwick basses (the older ones especially) their distinctive 'growl and bite' sound?
    I know there is more to it than that (electronics, other wood laminates, etc) but is that a major part?

Cheers

Ian

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think it has alot to do with the densitys of the body woods as well. they use harder woods for the body than your normal ash, alder, mahogany, etc...

the wenge neck has alot to do with it too, i don't think the ovangkol necks sounds as warwicky as the wenge ones. the wenge fingerboard adds alot too, as does the huge countersunk brass bridge and the special frets...

i don't think the electronics have much to do with it though...a really early thumb with bart electronics still has the sound.

jason

3. I agree, I think the wenge is a major part of the sound...I have an older Fortress that is almost all maple and doesn't really have that distinctive Warwick sound (although it is a great rock & R&B bass).

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The only wenge on my Streamer Stage I 5 is the fretboard and it sounds like a Warwick to me... very chunky in the midrange. But maybe not so much as wenge/ovangkol necked ones.