Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

that was crap

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by miccheck1516, Aug 30, 2003.

1. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Im just back form a gig i just played. My guitarist organized it, wel when i say organized, i mean he tried to be someone important.

The hall we were playing in wasn´t booked until yesterday at 5:30 (the time the town hall closes at) we didnt know if we were going to have PA until today as we were on the way to the gig, and once we got there, the hall hadn't been opened for us. So i had to jump in a window and we had to use a fire excape as a door for the night.

I was playing through a 4x10 and a 1x15 hooked up to an ampeg 350w thingy and an svp pro pre. The sound was fantastic during soundcheck, but, the band that were on before us, (the guy who owns the rig) pushed it too hard, i saw the rack shacking badly and ran and jumped on to the stage (like action man lol) it fell, i managed to catch it just before it hit the ground, but it had ripped out the input on the 4x10, this was the guy's new rig, i felt so bad for him, at least his rack didnt get destroyed, and his 1x15 is alright.

When we got up, we started off really well perfect timing, really good mix, i was happy...
    then, my guitarists effects pedal, which have been playing up all week, started to play up half way through a song, at this i just lost it, i had told him he could use my own pedal for guitar which is exactly the same as his! but noooo then he wouldnt be using his own gear.

Now here is the problem, this was a paid gig, and i get paid the next time i see him, but i want to leave the band now, (this isnt a rash descision ive been thinking about it for a while)

so, if i leave, should i still get paid for the gig?

God what a night........

2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    sorry about all the typos guys im tired and annoyed, ill fix it in the morning if it really annoys some people

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I cleaned it up a bit for you

PS: YES, GET THE MONEY AND LEAVE!

4. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    i was kinda hoping a mod would o that for me, thanks man, makes me feel like someone cares, oh and to top it all off, my girlfriend just hung up on me........

What the hell is going on tonight?

5. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Well, if you finished the gig you should get your share.

Gear - yours or others - sometimes ****s up during gigs, you'll get used to it. Keep cool and improvise musical/technical solutions.

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    sorry to hear that too..

think of this as a "Fresh new start" (both musically and sentimentally)

dunno, im too positive about things :D

7. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    damn right you should get paid, for services rendered. then leave.
    oh, and things don't stay **** forever. just wait.

PS. whereabouts are you? (least I had the decency and balls to admit being from Dundalk:) )

8. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    my god your from ireland, there arnt many of us here on TB. Im from bangor, near belfast. Im jutst up, my g/f didnt hang up on me, her battery died so everything is fine with regard to her. Ill leave the band, im starting college on wednesday so i'll try and get a band together in there. There are alot of people that play stuff in there, with a bit of luck ill find a person who plays trumpet, now i wonder, are they called trumpeteers?????:D

9. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    bass/trumpet duo? You're a brave one, but it might just be crazy enough to work.:D
    Pity you're band ain't workin out, but it should be a laugh puttin your own band together in college. You could even get some of the science students in on the game and get some Kraftwerk-style sounds.:D
    I'm starting college in DunLaoghaire in late September and me and the band (there's three of us) are moving in together :eek: :eek:
    this will either cement us together or kill us.
    best of luck with "Mike and the trumpeteers":D

10. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    well i was kinda thinking of having bass guitar drums singer and a 'trumpeteer', and if it does happen, we will be 'mike and the trumpeteers' thats a fantastic name, even tho my name is jake :meh:

11. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    dammit! I made a guess based on the username...
    miccheck....mic...mike...?
    ah well.

well if you're band goes well and feels like paying a visit to us wee Mexicans, I'll listen out for "The Trumpeteers" ;) :)

G'Luck,
    C

12. I really wish I was.

I am far to bitter.

13. get the money...kick him in the sack,and hit the road.

14. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    get the money...kick him in the sack,and hit the road
    I would never wish a sack kick on anyone. On second thought do like the man says. Kick him in the sack, and hit the road. Make sure you get any equipment of yours from where you practice. The band might get mad at you and F it up. :spit:

15. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    well folks i left, im raging. The last gig we played our guitarist organised(like i said before) i organised a gig in the same place a month ago, we made £400, how much did we make this time? £100 due to a lack of advertising, i told him that i wanted at least half of that since my mum had paid for the hire of the hall, which was £45 I got my £45 back, but i had to give it straight to my mum, basically i played a gig for nothing, and i didnt even enjoy it. I know free gigs are great things, but we had been getting paid fairly well for every gig we played, that was a bit of a kick up the arse.

Secondly, before the afformentioned gig, we played a festival during the day, i was told i would get £100 for it, now im being told its going to take weeks, or months for the money to come through. That is the type of BS i had to put up with.

Anyway, i left, and i will make sure i get my £100. It's going towards my new head........:bassist:

16. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    I wasnt so annoyed at teh bass rig getting screwed up, but my guitarists effects pedal (one of those crap zoom multi effects tone killers) had been playing up for months now, and he refuses to use anything else, i told him i would buy him a new stompbox, but then he thought he was tom morello so he needed the wah pedal, god im glad im out of that band.