Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

that "Watery" sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rak, Jan 24, 2002.

1. rak

rak

Sep 19, 2000
    Columbia, Missouri
    Hi everyone...

I've been playing bass 100% clean for about 15 years and am starting to get bored...

I really dig a sort of "watery" sound, one like Roger Waters (no pun intended) gets in "Sheep." (that's pink floyd for you young nu-metalers out there)

Any suggestions? Am on a limited budget, say around $100.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Phase shifter. Chorus and flange effects give similar sounds.

Cheapest ones you can buy are from Danelectro, about $39.

3. Akai just stopped making its Intelliphase pedal (true-bypass; dynamics-sensitive phasing), and both zZounds and Musictoyz are blowing it out for 2/3 off list.

I bought one, and the Tune Lock tuner, for $50 and $40 respectively. I'd say that's a better value than a Dano Mini pedal that will probably break on you.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The EBS BassIQ Triple Envelope Filter is the closest I've used to the effect you are referencing.

A Bass Player review of the pedal included, "the HI-Q position, the upward filter affects only an upper frequency band for an especially watery, Bootsy-like effect."

Whatever you do, I agree with analog - Danelectro boxes are a cheesy as it gets.

5. Envelope filter, one of the greatest inventions known to man, better then the microwave! They can get pretty pricey but a good tweak able one can get some of the most desired effects, far beyond those watery funk wah sounds that are now overused. They can also produce really cool synth effect: from long sweeps with fluttering squelches to quick attacking chirps and bleeps. I recommend you get one that's tweak able then you won't be sorry later on. The Frostwave funk-a-duck and the Mutron3 are good examples of gear head friendly filters. The qtron is a good example but it lacks some body and space.