that "wet-burpy-sputtering-organicjazz-funk" sound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by maggot*, Oct 27, 2003.

1. while I'm a VERY long way from purchasing my next bass, I would like some advice on pickups/wood types for my "window shopping".:D

my topic describes the sound I'm looking for - Victor Wooten's bass tone is the closest comparison I guess I could make - I like the richness of Stanley Clarke's tone as well, but I'm looking for less "bite" than that - I love his lower-mids but to much cutting in the upper register. Any recommendations on parts for a nOOb would be welcome - I know what I want to hear but am uneducated as far as what pickup types and/or wood types will get me there. Any advice for me?
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well as you know, the tone is in the hands :)

But if you do a search here for those names, Victor Wooten and Stanley Clarke, you will find lot´s of info regarding what basses and pickups they use.

Best of luck to you!
  3. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    I just heard a sound byte in another thread of Lindy Fralin pickups that could be the sound your describing. It does have heavy chorus on it, but I think the tone is there...

This thread
  4. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I know Victor's main bass is a Fodera with a P/J combination on pups. You can get the Fodera outboard preamp, and don't forget the new strings!