Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

That'll teach him to say "really funky" to a bassist

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bassman1185, Nov 29, 2002.

1. OK, I'm at practice for my youth group's worship band. My youth pastor, who is also the drummer and worship leader, says I can do the intro to In The Secret, which is a really cool worship song. Now, if you've never heard that song, it has a pretty syncopated (sp?) rythym. Well, my youth pastor, Brian, told me to do "a really funky rythym" for the intro. So I spend the next few days messing around with the song, and i write an awesome intro. So here comes time for the next practice, and I play my intro, and give Brian my idea for the intro, whick is for me to play half of the riff alone, and then have the drums come in. So I play, and my rythy is to funky and syncopated that he can barely play along!:D I though that was kinda funny.

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I wonder how many other bassists out there have to suppress their 'funkal urges'. Man, it's been years since I've been in a band that would welcome me playing slap (what ya get for living in a little backwater town). In my current classic rock gig, I've thrown a slap solo into the Rolling Stones "Miss You" and a little slap into the end vamp of "Heard it Through The Grapevine" but I know my bandmates hate it. I'm so oppressed, man :( ;)

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I guess I'm just blessed in that I never get objections from the other members of my Christian band when I slap. I don't do it a whole lot and when I do I try to keep it fairly simple and subtle. Also I usually don't slap a whole song but only certain sections of it. Just enough to keep me slap-happy. :)

brad cook

4. Man, I love doing that song, there are endless possibilities for it :cool:. Luckily for me, both the drummers at my church are amazing, they can handle anything.

5. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    That's the thing about Praise music! It's so 'wide open' for adaptations,interpretations and different timbres that it's always exciting! I guess that's why it's ' Praise' Music.:D

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    True dat. I looked forward to playing that song for our Sunday service, only to be told to play it at half-tempo, ballad-style. What a bummer. It's just an amazing song, I wish we could have done it proper. There are possibilities, but doing it that style seemed to take the zing out of it, you know? And that's what makes me like the song.

7. yeah, if youre doing orginals, the trick is find a clueless guitarist with ability and show him what to play with your funkiest riffs. worked for me.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, that'll teach 'em
    [​IMG]

9. LOL!!! That's the funniest pic I've seen for a long time. I just printed it out and I'm gonna give it to Brian.

10. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Slap != funk

:rolleyes:

-Satan's little helper

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm no Dave Castelo... but I try.

12. in my second public performance, i slapped everything... things i shouldn't have,m things i should have

i came up with a really good way to play Narcotic by Liquido on that night but i might have been a little out of time due to the sheer pain i was experiencing from a gangrene infected thumb but i managed to pull myself back in a few times

anyway, thirty five minutes later, pus and blood were rushing from my hand the crowd was booing and i was slightly overdosing on speed

moral of the story is that, although when i got home the next day i found there were new muscles on my arms that hadn't been there before and my hand felt more limber than it ever had before, i learnt that too much slapping can be a bad thing*, and most rock songs shun it's introduction, however funky you may make it

*same for too much speed

Slap Bass Ninja's first post and he tell the tale of embarrasment that was his band jizzwallop... the assclown award goes to me