Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thats another thing i wanted to ask....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Si-bob, Feb 24, 2002.

1. ...how well founded is the argument that 22 (or less) frets is better the 24 plus frets for a slap tone??

tnx

*Si*

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Depends on the bass, depends on how you slap, depends on whether 24 frets is an integral part of your playing...

in other words, it depends;)

Back in the day I did most of my slapping on a 24 fret neck through Tobias 4, then a 24 fret Tobias 5. It still sounds nice but I've gravitated towards less than 24... anywhere from 20 to 22. My Fenders, Lakland, MTD, etc. are all less than 24 frets.

OTOH I just sold my Clover (25 frets) and Cirrus (24 frets), maybe that explains it.

Hmmm...

3. at the moment, i have a 24 fret 5'er, which is kinda integral cos i play chordal stuff as well.......but for my new SEI i wondered whether it would be better to get a 22 fret jobby, whether it mafe much difference or not. I spose i could use my SEI as a 'main' axe (well for £2000, i would expect to :) ) and use the 24 fret 5, as my kinda 'Chordal/solo bass :)

*Si*

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well...seeing as how the 24th fret is a node for a bunch of harmonics, you might get some unwanted harmonics in there????? but i guess that would change as soon as you fretted a note so...

i'm gonna say the only reason it would matter is on something where the neck pickup is SUPER close to the end of the board - but even then i'm sure it would be fine with some practice.

my musicman and my warwick slap equally nice. so - i'm going to vote "doesn't matter"

jason

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's true. You could use both for what they do best.

IME there is a difference between slapping near the end of a 22 fret board vs. a 24. To my ear, the sound is fatter.

6. thats the kinda of answer i was looking for.
    i think the consensus is that a 22 fret board provides a meatier/fatter slap tone?!

*Si*