1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

That's it - back to basics for me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lackey, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've been pondering this move quite a bit in the last few months, but as of this evening I have my TRB-6 up for sale and a fretted Carvin B4 on the way to me. Now I'll have a matched pair of fretted and fretless fourbangers, both with DiMarzio Model J's installed.

Although I've never owned a high end / boutique instrument, I've played plenty, and I have to say that only a few (Elrick, Pedulla, Marleaux, a few others) gave me a tone I wanted to hear. I've narrowed my tone preference down to light body woods, bolt on construction, j bass pickup placement, and midrange/low end heavy pickups. Even if a bass has a full service active pre I typically disable it if possible or use it to bump a bit of low and cut some highs.

Furthermore, I am really not relying on the B string as much as I used to - granted I'm not playing metal anymore. But I find if a bass has enough low end in the first place, not being able to go below E isn't an issue in most contexts. (for me at least) Not to mention, I'll be doing mostly cover gigs for a while and I don't really want an orange ERB that weighs 13 pounds hanging on me for 4 hours...

So I guess I'm just kind of informing myself about my new position on bass gear - I don't blame anybody for cursing me after opening this thread and reading it. Still - some catharsis was necessary, and what better place than TB? Please no flaming though; I love boutique singlecuts as much as the next guy, and I imagine I'll have one someday when I actually have a decent income - although it'll probably be single pickup sans any type of preamp.....

....I'm starting to feel an urge for a 115 cabinet versus 210s as well..... should I fight it? hmm...