Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thats it I quit!!!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by odie, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Scale- theory based on scales

39 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. chordal approach

20 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. something involving a carrot

20 vote(s)
    27.8%
  4. other

14 vote(s)
    19.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well I got my fretless and I decided Im not going to play it until I make the commitment to do it the right way..

Ok I did play it a little!!!

Im going to play dumb and act like I dont know a thing about a bass and playing. And start at the begining. Technique, pitch, scales, theory.

So Im going to post this question lets assume Im starting from the begining. What type of theory do you I use(see poll). ANd any other hints for the person starting over.

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Go to Libster and start with lesson one. Just go through each lesson until you really have it before begining the next.

Good luck.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Act?!?!??! :confused:

Kidding.

What type of theory do you use? I just don't know, I really didn't know there was more than one type. I'm not trying to be mean, just to say that you can really use whatever aspect of theory fits your need at that moment. You're going to need to come up with a focused practice routine.

How do you currently practice your scales/arpeggios? Really, how do you currently practice anything?

Your practice routine doesn't need to vary. You will, however, want to pay special attention to intonation and tone. There are several ways to do this. I have some drills I use, PM me if you'd like and I can share what I do.

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

See my problem is that Ive never had proper instruction. So what I was doing when i first started out was to learn and memorize scales the minor and major. Sometimes I would learn the 3rd etc, but not to often because I never really new how to use this information. I just looked at it as learning patterns that I could work ideas off of.

But now I want to go about learning the proper way and not just retain fragments of things Ive learned.

5. Just practice scales and modes

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

But how does that get me any further in my playing?? I think Im missing out on something in my learning.

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The point of practice early in one's education is to gain facility by repetition. You simply need to get some hours on the instrument in order to understand what comes next.

You didn't understand in 2nd grade why you had to add up columns of numbers and get an accurate result... but that skill sure came in handy the first time you had to balance your checkbook, right? Same principle at work here. Those who know how to play are in a fairly good position to recommend what you need to be able to do to get to where they are.

Next topic: If you are planning on playing electric bass in a rock band, you should learn some traditional theory -- how chords behave within keys, how scales behave within chords and how you set up a chord within a given key (for example, I would not play the same notes under an F chord in the key of Bb minor as I would play under an F chord in the key of C major).

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I chose "chords". But, it's a bit misleading without understanding my logic. First of all, in order to properly understand chords, being able to analyze chords means you have to be able to understand intervals, which come from scales.

Ultimately, what you're trying to do, from a non-rythmic viewpoint, is to outline the chords of the guitarist, keyboardist, or whomever you're role is to highlight. But, in order to outline those chords, you have to have a more basic understanding of music theory which comes from the scales themselves.

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I chose other.. because if you don't understand theory at all, you need to start from the begginning.. Learning key signatures and note names, enharmonic names etc. Scales are great, but there is a lot more to theory than just scales.

you need to know chords and learn the different inversions. Do you know the difference between a triad, a 7th chord, a 9 chord, and a major triad add 9? You may not be looking to become a theory master, and if you take theory in college or some degree of education, you will learn a good bit and eventually will be able to apply it to your playing.

10. Chordal chordal chordal.

You don't want to end up like my lead electric guitar, thinking in neat little boxes... ugghh. Thank god bass came along and I started to learn about harmony properly.

Once you know about major and minor triads, seventh chords, intervals, can play through simple changes and know what the notes are called, then you start with scales. You learn how the scale shapes arise out of the chord shapes (or the other way around, it's all the same), and the intervals and the way they fit begins to mean something.

Otherwise you will end up like me with a headful of patterns and no understanding, which is NOT conducive to melodious, intelligent music.

When I started out, I read that chords came from scales, and that songs were in a particular key which had a particular scale. I couldn't figure out how to fit the dominant (V7 chord) into a minor key scale pattern, because the third was "wrong". I was flummoxed (love that word!) by every chord that didn't fit into the diatonic scheme of things. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why an Fmaj sounded good in a Em progression like Em Am7 Em F.

You don't want to end up in dead ends like that. Learn chords first.

11. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Odie,

There is no absolute way of learning. There are many, and each players has to find the one that fits him the most.

I am self-taught, but after 2 years of guitar, my parents thought I would need a teacher to learn classical guitar techniques. I stopped this after the third lesson. But that was MY way of thinking, as many players took many lessons.

No-one, except yourself, can tell you which way to go, and which method will most fit you. That's why I did not vote in the poll :D

All the best,

12. odie

odie Supporting Member

Wow alot of good advice!!!

Im trying to get out of the rut I'm in. Playing cover tunes and not knowing what it is Im playing. I have a good ear and fairly good playing skill. Just clueless on what Im playing.

SO people where do I start?? Some one here needs to call me "young grasshopper" or something!! :)

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Odie,

Did you get my PM? I'm starting to wonder if it went through or not.

14. odie

odie Supporting Member

Nope Jazzbo didnt get. Hopefully I can call you sensei after I get it.:)
    Try me again.
    I hope you didnt write a small book!!!

15. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Hey odie,
    I did the same thing... I've been playing 12 years (with a 3 or 4 year break). I picked it up & started playing again about 3 years ago and decided to start having lessons... more for thoery than anything else.

I'd say forget online lessons, videos and books. Get a teacher. That way you wont skip stuff when it gets a bit difficult and you can get answers to your questions! You can always try a few out until you find a teacher with a style that you like.

I only have one lesson per month... it's all I have time & money for with all the other crap I do, but it's worth it. I've learnt so much each lesson so far.

16. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    "Once you know about major and minor triads, seventh chords, intervals, can play through simple changes and know what the notes are called, then you start with scales. You learn how the scale shapes arise out of the chord shapes (or the other way around, it's all the same), and the intervals and the way they fit begins to mean something."

BehindTheMoon is right on here... this is how my teacher has been teaching me and it bluddy works!

In my 1st lesson I learnt major scale traids (maj, min, 7th, flat 5th etc...). The 2nd he introduced me to the concept of inverted chords, plus 9ths, 11th, 13th etc and modes...

It's a hell of a lot to be getting on with, but once you start getting into it, it is amazing. There seems to be so many 'coincedences'!