That's it, I'm officially unable to sleep

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Oct 19, 2005.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Three nights in a row, laying in bed, can't sleep. Third time this happened. If if keeps up, I'll crash tomorrow for at least 12 hours, miss two classes and start the cycle all over again. I'm trying everything short of murdering my snoring roommate and taking drugs.

My usual evening ends around 12, usuall BSing til about 1 when we go to bed, he listens to his iPod to sleep, I lay there thinking, then as I'm laying there, nearly falling asleep, I get a good idea and start thinking about it then wake up. Then the snoring kicks in. I roll over about 3AM, see if anyone's awake on AIM, then jump on Talkbass, go through every thread thats new and I haven't read, post a bit, try to sleep again, then do it all over again til I finally "get up" around 7, jump in the shower and go get breakfast before my 8:50 class. After this class, I usually have the room to myself and try to take a nap, and the few times when I've been able to, I'm out cold for about 3-4 hours and sleep right through the alarm I set to get me up in plenty of time for my next class.

I'm not stressed, I'm not worried, I love life away from home but I still can't sleep. Not into taking drugs to help me sleep. Any advice ?
  2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    When I go to bed I listen to either a cd that I have a couple of thunderstorm mp3's burned onto or a cd of jazz tunes I'm trying to learn.

Do you have an mp3 player and a set of headphones?

What about reading a book?

Is there anything specific bugging you that you need to talk about?

3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope, on my list of things to buy when I get money. Apple just made it more difficult with the replacement of the iPod mini.

Umm, trying to sleep, not bore myself. :D

I think I'm going crazy.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Don't have time to write, but just caught this post. I'm in the same place, due to jetlag though I think. 4 hours a night of horrible sleep for about a week straight now, waking up every hour or so and having to fall back to sleep. Today I have to go to work and substitute teach HS kids, then drive straight to a gig an hour and half away to play till around 10:30, and repeat the same tomorrow, except go straight to a 4 hour rehearsal that's an hour and a half away. Feel like I'm gonna crack. I'm getting so riduculously close to being able to quit my dayjob that I can taste it.

You're not alone, for whatever that's worth. :)
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Physical exercise is an excellent remedy.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, that's the truth. Haven't been to the gym this week due to not wanting to over exert before our evening volleyball tournaments.

However 5-6 miles on a bike might be what the doctor ordered.
  7. Shaggy98771

Shaggy98771 Guest

May 19, 2003
    Rockford Illinois
    i work third shift its always hard for me to sleep the way i do it to get back on my cycle is about 36-40 hours of straight awake and then crash for like 5 hours and then im good to sleep again for a few weeks
  8. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I have diagonosed insomnia. I only get 3-4 hours of sleep a night, because I can't take sleeping pills due to other medications I take.

So, how to deal with it:
    1) Lie down. If you are trying to go to sleep, at least relax which is semi-recooperative.
    2) No bright lights. Bright lights (such as large wattage bulbs) awake you/
    3) Keep your room below normal room tempurture and use a blanket, the light chilliness actually shuts your body down.
    4) Drink warm milk. That's right. When milk is warmed, it realeases melatonin (one of the few sleep aids that are OTC that are safe) a chemical that causes your brain to want to sleep.
    5) Exercise an half-hour to an hour before going to bed. Not vigarous exercise, just a nice work out.
    6) If you really, really can't sleep, Lunesta and Ambient are good sleep aids, having tried them before. Just go to your friendly neighborhood doctor, and he will prescribe them instantly, since they don't cointain strong deppressents like other sleep aids.

Best of luck to you tplyons!
  9. Nyquil and Radiohead.

Works wonders on me.
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You gotta be kidding me.
  11. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills

its like after u have sex, u feel so relaxed that u just fall asleep..
    same principle.. enjoy :)
  12. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Whatever floats your boat I suppose.
  13. Tell me it doesn't relax you?

And don't tell me you don't do it, cause then you'd be lying!
  14. I second the suggestions for mellow music and more exercise during the day. You could always trying taking a benadryl or two - they're relatively harmless and tend to make me pretty drowsy. I used to take one every now and then when I was rooming with a dude who had aspirations of being a professional hip-hop DJ - I'm sure I don't have to elaborate much on why :) . It might be a stepping stone to the the pharmaceutical route, but whatever works, I suppose.

And by all means, if you can't sleep - do your schoolwork!
  15. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm going to deny, but I'd say it doesn't neccesarily RELAX me...
  16. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    sure? hehehe :D
  17. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Same here!!!!
    I go to sleep very late everynight (4,5 or 6 AM) because i work as a bartender.
    I can't sleep more than 4 or 5 hours a night. that $ucks.
    Soon college is back and i stop working on weekdays, hopefully i can get back to normal hours sleep then.

tplyons tell your roommate to take care of his snoring..if it's a heavy snoring it's really not healthy for him too.
  18. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Oh, don't put it that way.... makes it sound so clinical....

How about "wrestle the one-eyed cyclops until his head bleeds".....

19. OK then ..

Play with your fireman. Just don't let him spit in your eye.