That's it, I'm ready for new cabs...Ideas?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think I'm ready to move on from the Mesa 1x15 + 2x10 RR's. Nothing really wrong with them aside from just wanting something different already. Not even necessarily different from that configuration, but just not these exact Road Ready 1x15 + 2x10's anymore.

-I don't think I need the RR nuclear bomb proof construction

-I would welcome the weight savings (but I don't necessarily need feather weight).

-If 1 managable cab could do it, great. But most likely it's going to be a modular 2 cab set up for ease of transportation and carrying (If I wanted spinal injury, I'd start using my RR Powerhouse 1000 :D). As long as each cab is handle-able by one person, I'm down.

-I need it to seriously ROCK as much as my present cabs. And ROCK as in loud, thundering, growling, and booming trying to get over Mesa/Marshall half stacks and loud drummer. I don't play many light jazz or church gigs (though I wish I did).

-Funds wise, I'm thinking anywhere from mega-value (Avatar or the like) to not quite life-savings (Eden or Mesa). I'm pretty sure there is lots between there. And I'm very open-minded.

I welcome any and all suggestions...thanks!
  2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Bergantino NV 425. That's what replaced my Mesas!
  3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Bergantino makes great products
  4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Bergs and Epifanis are great. For a cheaper option, I just bought the new lower-priced Aguilar S410 cab and I've been very happy with the tone (previous cab list includes Eden 410xlt, 115t, 210xlt, Mesa RR 210, RR 115). It's noticebly smaller lighter than 410xlt, but sounds better (smoother and deeper). It's not as harsh, but with an aggressive playing style or bass it'll be more musical. I think two of those would be killer, especially at the price point. I've never heard a Shroeder, so can't comment on those.

5. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I just bought the new Bergantino HT210S and EX112S. THey are amazing cabs in unison. They weren't cheap, but the sound was amazing. It was definitely worth a little extra to do the 2 cabs than an all in one 1-12 and 2-10 because of the weight difference. 55# and 36# vs. close to 100# for the all in one. The Schroeder was the lightest weight cab of that type I'd seen and it weighed in at 75#.
  6. havuk

Jan 5, 2005
    Schroeder 21012 or 310212...
  7. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Another Bergantino plug.
  8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    How about some new Mesa powerhouse cabs? Change the config up, get a 2x10 powerhouse and 2x12, this way you'll get some fat bottom and punch at the same time. As well as the sex you get from using Mesa :bag:
  9. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Schroeder 410. Reminds me of my old Ampeg 810. Only smaller, lighter, louder, tighter, punchier, cuts through like a ******* get the idea.

10. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    +1 on Schroeder. Or Epifani.
  11. I like the new Gallien-Krueger Neo Cabs.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just bought an Avatar B410 NEO...but I'll be sending it back since I found out they are making a 212 NEO in late June. The 410 thumps, though!!!!
  13. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks all very much for the responses! Much appreciated.

The Bergantinos and Epifanis and Aguilars do seem great. If any of those, I'd lean toward maybe the Aguilar or Bergantino. The NV425 looks really interesting and the Aguilar cabs just look good in general! Then again, I don't really even have the slightest idea on the voicing these have in relation to one another. Heard them a time or two all on separate occassions but didn't know if it was the cab or the amp or the bass or what. Can someone shed light on which would be best suited towards a more aggressive, rock type sound? Or can you make anything do anything?

Of course a Schroeder(s) is definitely in the running. Aside from the light weight and compactness, they sounded darn good for the short time I had my 1210. I played a couple shows with it and certainly knew it sounded good and was getting the job done, but I can't seem to recall if it has "the voice" I'm looking for, especially now that I have a different amp and bass. That cab could get LOW! And Jorg was of course THE MAN, grea to talk to and deal with. I just have to remember or establish if a 21012 or 410 (or something) could ROCK enough with my new setup.

I was recently impressed by a GK 400RB amp I had to use at an out of state gig. Nice sound. Different, but nice. So it made me wonder about their cabs. I always wrote them off, but then again, I did that about their amps too...and now I'm lusting after an 2001RBP preamp or 2001 head hehe. Stupid GAS. How's the pricing on their NEO cabs?

And yup, thought about going the total money saving route and getting a couple Avatars. They aren't practically FREE either, but I'd be getting 2 for 1 basically. I used to own the older B410. Sold it eventually because it was HEA-VY. Probably lighter now that it comes in NEO. From what I remember though, it kinda had this hollow sound. Like, eventually I always felt that the sound of the enclosure kinda knocked and echoed and mixed into the overall sound. I dunno. I could be way off. But the build quality, price, and customer service could convince me to give them a second try. This time maybe with 12's plus 10's or something.

Which brings me to where I am now: I still have no freakin' clue what configuration I want to go with. 10's with 12's? 10's with 15 again? All 10's? All 12's? Argh. I wish I could try out all this stuff but you'd be surprised how hard it is to demo all this stuff in Los Angeles. There are GC's everywhere, but most of which carry the brands I'm not looking at (surprise, surprise). And their Mesa stuff is far and few between. The Mesa outlet is hard for me to get to during their business hours and even then, I always get the feeling when I go in there that my wallet doesn't qualify for their attention :scowl:

Any and all comments or ideas are still much appreciated. Post at will! I'll read and respond to them all! Ack, I'm frustrated...

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you can hold off for awhile and are getting one cab, I'd go with the new 212 NEO that's coming out in June from Avatar. It should be about 12-20 lbs lighter than the current 212 (which is 75 lbs) and have the same punchy, full bottomed booty.