Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

That's it! I'm sick of breaking strings!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Casey C., Sep 19, 2002.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I bought a set of blue steels less than a month ago and the E string broke. I had set everything up right when I was putting them on, I haven't down tuned it at all and my playing had become less aggressive. Whats going wrong? I haven't had trouble with my Carvin LB-75 as far as frequent string breakage until I had things adjusted by a local shop. The E string on the set of string he put on broke within 2 weeks. I replaced the whole set and put a new bridge on and reset it. The B on that set lasted a month or so. Before my troubles started, My strings would last ATLEAST 6 months. I switched from picking to fingering but my agressiveness has always been the same. Any tips? Suggestions? help at all?

2. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    uhhh...

-when you put on your strings, make sure the string wraps 2 or 3 times around the machine head to seat it tightly into the nut, and to prevent breakage

-tune your bass using an ELECTRONIC tuner

-tune the bridge to the right intonation

that should be it?

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Detuning your bass won't break your strings-they're actually less likely to break because of the lack of tension. And intonation won't have anything to do with string breakage-although a sharp edge on a bridge saddle can lead to broken strings. But since you said you've recently switched bridges, this is probably not the reason. Do your strings break in the same place all the time or in different locations?

BTW, there are several links here about the same subject, so there is more available info in the archives.

4. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    All of my strings break at the bridge. Before and after the bridge swap.

never heard that one, I'll make sure I do that next time. I always wrapped it around alittle more than one time.

really? You would think that by dropping your bass out of standard tuning would create breakage problems by stretch the strings out and relieving them.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    This must be a string kharma thing or something. I really don't understand how people break strings - especially E strings. I've been told by more than one salesperson that I play harder than most people they see. I've done everything imaginable to my basses, hit them, plucked them, smashed them, knocked the hell out of them with a pick, and ripped into them as hard as I could - I've only broken a string once - and I'm sure it was because it was the one time I boiled them.

My only guesses might be:

You may need to alter the way you're attacking the strings. You might be plucking or pulling at them as opposed to sorta letting your fingers slide off them.

Maybe the place you buy your strings at has them sitting on the shelf for years - or stores them right beneath a radiator or in some other unpleasant condtition that kills strings. Maybe he/she buys discount rejects or something. See if buying your strings elsewhere helps at all.

Lastly, if the person who replaced your bridge is the same person you buy strings from - perhaps they install little razors in the bridges to increase their string sales. Yeah, that's probably it.... or they file them into little blades....

Maybe they put a secret kind of acid on them that only heats up when the strings vibrate..... that could be it too........

I have to go take my medication now.

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Check for rough spots on your bridge where the string goes across the saddle. The Carvin LB70 I used to have would break strings (the G string) a lot and I founs a small rough spot on the bridge saddle.

-KB

7. i experimented with different string heights on my Toby Pro-5 a few years ago. I raised the action, and subsequently broke three strings (E and B) in a relatively short time span. It turns out that the angle i was bending the strings at the bridge was too sharp... try moving you saddles out a little bit and see if that helps.

8. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    precisely...diffy man, thats what i said:p.

yes. if he swapped bridges, either the bridge height or slider intonation causes the strings to break. the e string slider should be near the bottom, and the tops of the following sliders should be a centimeter above the slider before it. if the string is pressing against the very edge of the slider this causes breakage.

either that or the height of the bridge causes too much pressure on the slider, and the string cant handle that much psi, causing a break.

'tain't rocket science. 'tis BASS science!

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sorry stop_drop! Actually, SwilsonR is talking about action and you had mentioned intonation, which is different altogether, but I'm sure that's what you meant.

Casey C., there shouldn't be a problem with breakage due to detuning because you aren't actually stretching the strings any more than they were, unless they were well above standard tuning to begin with. Bass strings are pretty tough; you should be able to change your tunings up or down at least a little without having to worry about breakage. Heck, you should be able to bend and slap the hell out of a good set and still expect them to last longer than a month.

10. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I have my saddles sitting rather high, thats probably my problem. But I have them high because of my playing. I'm a pretty aggressive player I guess. I get alot of fret noise from my fingers when the saddles are low. What am I to do? I'm think about giving flat wounds a try.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It could be your bass, but it's possible you just need a setup done. You shouldn't have to resort to incredibly high action or using flatwounds in order to get a non-buzzing bass with no excessive string breakage. Does the buzzing occur in specefic areas of the neck (ie. lowest frets, above the 12th fret, everywhere, etc)?

What exactly did the local shop DO to your bass?

12. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    your making me feel naked bryan, stop it you silly savage!

13. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :D :D :D

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if you're a pretty aggressive player, you're going to break strings.

drop your action to the point where you have to play lightly or else your bass will buzz, turn up your amp, and play lighter :)

15. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    you may also want to invest in buying numerous single strings....