Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

That's It.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steph Dawe, Aug 23, 2005.

1. That's it. It's gone.

I've lost my passion for playing music.

:( :bawl:

It was a good five years while it lasted.

2. JTbass

JTbass

Jul 2, 2004
    Asutin TX
    Be more specific. I don't know what to say. :(

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Now I know your just pulling our legs, right? :confused:

What's up that you feel this way?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You just need a new bass.

5. you'll be back ;)
    maybe ya just need some time off to chill out and forget about whatever is stressing you out on the scene - lack of a band, equipment that doesnt touch your funny parts (;))...

so wassaup, y0?

6. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Now meet Steph that likes fruit-hats...

[​IMG]

PS if you leave we will find you!

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Same thing happened to me in 1980. I sold almost all the gear I had. Took 20 years for the bug to come back and and bite me again! :eek:

8. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    I laid off of it for about 5 years due to work, life, etc. Trust me, when it comes back, it comes back much stronger.

You'll be back.

9. Nope, just in hibernation because your life is focussed on other things right now, most likely. I don't claim to know what your aspirations were re: music, but please don't be too down about it. As was said, when the muse hits again, make sure your instrument is waiting for you.

Don't abandon it completely. Also never go at it so much that it becomes a chore. I know too many people that burn out like that. For me in many many ways music is therapy, a calming thing...an outlet. Sometimes I thump a bass, others I smack my drums around. Sometimes I'll strum lame songs on guitar (hair metal anyone?)...Maybe you wanna switch instruments for a while? It's funny how refocus on a new instrument ends up lending itself well to the old instrument.

If and when it calls for you, be ready, and approach it differently. Best of luck to you on this.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

11. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Just take some time off. There's plenty of hobbies out there to kill the time. Besides, I dont know about down there, but in the U.S., CSI is on like, seventeen times a day. That oughta take your mind off things. :)

12. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    seventeen? more like seventy

I had a similar feeling shortly after highschool. I really didn't care at all for music.

At the time I was actually very big into medieval recreation. I was in talks with metalsmith from NC about becoming his apprentice. He backs out of the deal at the last minute, but about a week before that a friend from high school asked me about playing bass for his band. I had to regretfully inform him that I was planning on leaving the state within the next few weeks. Luckily, when things broke down on the metal end of things, my friend still hadn't found a bassist so I hopped right on and have been cruising ever since.

I tend to look back on my medieval recreation days and ask myself What was I thinking?

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    T'is but a slump.

Believe me -- in late 03, I was skipping second period on my way down to the music store and I was really feeling like I didn't even know why, because I just didn't feel like playing bass at all. That continued on for a (short) while, and then spent the entirety of 04 playing my arse off in the 'shed and in bands.

14. +1.

Words of wisdom. :cool:

Everyone goes through periods of being uninspired, just don't force it.

It's like eating pizza everyday; that's the best way to get to dislike pizza.

Mike ;)

15. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Well my God, look where he lives. I've heard Australians complain countless times that gear down there is atrociously expensive.

But seriously, perhaps you need some kind of change to inspire you. I took two years off when I met a girl. I started dating her, left the band etc. etc. My bandmates, which happen to be my best friends, weren't too pleased with me, but life went on. Come two years later, I'm now a proud owner of three Fenders, and have expanded my musical horizons to re-vitalize that youthful musical inspiration I had when first starting out.

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    she...

:bag:

17. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Woops...

18. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    You probably just needed a break from medieval re-creation. When it calls for you, be ready. Trust me, when it comes back, it comes back much stronger.

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    :D

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    If it helps, I'd be willing to look at your sunburn pics again.